What's new

slow internet speeds through routers even on lan ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hailmary

New Around Here
it seems my older 300mhz cpu routers can only push about 40mbps internet speed total on the lan or wifi connections

does any on know why? using older docsis 2.0 / 3.0 SB6121 cable modems i was getting better speeds (70Mbps) now with the newer docsis 3.0 SB6182 i can not getting the speed maxing at (40Mbps)

I am using a belkin n150 and asus rt-n12 ddwrt router currently.

Maybe the newer cable modems doing this to me? I am not sure.

does anyone know why? or have some info?

Last edited:
If you connect directly to the modem, what speeds do you get?

Has the ISP confirmed that their end is not the issue?

Was there an issue with the old modem (why was it replaced)? Do you own the modem or does the ISP supply it?

Have you tried just turning everything off (and unplugging all devices from the wall power) for 30 minutes or so and then plugging everything in, in order (below)?

Power down all network equipment for 30 minutes or more.
Unplug all connections including AC wall power plugs, LAN connections and USB attached devices.
Plug in the modem and wait for 5 minutes.
Connect Modem to Router WAN cable.
Plug in the router and wait for 5 minutes.
Connect any other LAN cables.
Plug in any switches and turn on all wired devices.
Turn on any wireless devices.

I get about 120Mbps direct from SB6182 modem

i did leave router off all night and reset them many times for a few hours. all test came back the same.
very odd since i just moved and i was getting 70Mbps fine on the routers with the other cable company modem SB6121

With your ISP connection speed not the issue, it must be the routers then. I'm assuming you've also checked the LAN cables (they are CAT5E or better, correct).

I do know that running DD-WRT firmware disables many enhancements like CTF, for example. What speeds do you get when you're running stock Asus firmware on the RT-N12 (after flashing to the Asus firmware, resetting to factory defaults and then manually and minimally configuring the router to secure it and connect to your ISP)?

my cat5 cables are not marked. when i test them from modem to pc i get same 120Mbps so I suppose the are cat5e

I tried tried the newest asus stock firmware and i get same results as I did on the DDWRT fw

Last edited:
the asus router you use is very old. It doesnt have a CPU fast enough for your connection as in the past stock firmware used hardware acceleration.

I am using a belkin n150 and asus rt-n12 ddwrt router currently.

time to consider an updated router/AP - not sure what your budget is - but an AC1900 class will do very well... and there's a few at different price points ranging from $100 plus to over $200...

If your budget is modest, consider the TP-Link Archer series - they're decent performers at a good price... if you can go a bit more - the Netgear R7000 and Asus RT-AC68U, along with the Apple Airport Extreme AC are all stable and capable performers...

sfx2000, even an RT-AC56U will be an upgrade over those old routers. ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!