What's new

Slow speeds over OpenVpn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OBENZ

Regular Contributor
I have read posts here which describes the 86u as one of the best routers for OpenVpn performance yet I'm experiencing terrible speed when using 86u as a VPN server.
On wifi I get my whole 100mbit bandwidth, as soon as use the VPN server on my s9+ I get 10% of that. I'm using UDP 1194 port lz0 compression and aes 256 compression.

If you're running the VPN server on the router how can you be connecting to it over WiFi? Surely you would be connecting into your LAN from a mobile connection (or WiFi hotspot)?

What is your internet upload speed?

If you're running the VPN server on the router how can you be connecting to it over WiFi? Surely you would be connecting into your LAN from a mobile connection (or WiFi hotspot)?

What is your internet upload speed?
Sorry, misworded :) I have a 100mbit fiber, on wifi I get 100 but as soon as I try the VPN on my phone using 4g it's 10mbit. On my phone, my 4g is showing 100mbit as well.
The second one is speed on VPN, first one is on wifi and last one is on LTE
dac3edbf0430004b60dfb83a3752978f.jpg
ea2bc1ff577b908f734be417f3674b90.jpg
333477b59b52b17f9dd6ef66486193a8.jpg

Those figures are normal. The reason you're only seeing 10Mbps is because the bottleneck is your home internet connection upload speed.

Think about it, data from the speedtest server goes to your router at 100Mbps. It's then uploaded to the internet at 10Mbps and then forwarded to your mobile operator's network and finally your phone over LTE.

Oh wow TIL :) I thought the VPN uses the downstream not the upstream, that makes a whole lot of sense now :)