What's new

Slow Wi-Fi on one device only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eec757

New Around Here
I’m hoping someone may have an idea of what could be going on. I recently purchased an ASUS RT-AC86U router to replace my old Netgear Nighthawk. The Netgear always clocked around 250-280 mbps on my desktop which is in line with my internet package. After installing the ASUS I am only able to reach 150-190 mbps on my desktop, but all other devices connected (both wired and wireless) are reaching 300 mbps. Cox told me to contact Asus, asus told me to contact Lenovo, Lenovo told me to contact Cox. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the forums @Eec757.

Did you try rebooting the router and affected computer? Did you check for any firmware updates for the hardware, any device driver updates, or any BIOS updates?

Have you tried testing different locations, and orientations for the Asus router? Even a few inches/degrees may make a difference.

Have you tried 'forgetting' the SSID, rebooting the computer, then re-associating it again?

Can you re-position the computer to make it more visible to the router's antennae?

PC is connected via wi-fi or LAN I am confused

it is not first time LAN speed is an issue https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac86u-lan-speed-limited.67906/
no1 replay then but maybe try to contact post author and I hope he found a solution.

just to check if this is kind of HW , firmware issue (Asus router your PC) if you still have Netgear set it as AP (or use 1Gbit switch) and place between Asus and PC via cable connection and test speed on PC.

Additional not sure what PC Motherboard you have but check for "extra" Internet driver/ application - like Asus have AI Protection that limit max internet speed.

if it is wi-fi not sure what Netgear router you are using if it is for example R7000 can have better wi-fi range and because of it better transfer speed. There is app for android called wi-fi analyzer that can test Asus and Netgear. If you can move Asus router 1-2m from PC for testing. Very often old routers have better wi-fi range as were introduced before new "noise" regulation.
Are you connected via wi-fi 5 or 2.4 GHz and check if you setup Authentication Method as WPA2-personal and WPA Encryption as AES, same device do not like Channel bandwidth 80MHz and do not use Control Channel as Auto and do not use DFS channels (5GHz) https://www.electronics-notes.com/a...2-11/channels-frequencies-bands-bandwidth.php

Last edited:
After installing the ASUS I am only able to reach 150-190 mbps on my desktop

Post a screenshot of your Wi-Fi settings General and Professional pages. What Wi-Fi adapter this desktop has (model number) and at what link speeds it connects to the router (System Log, Wireless Log, Tx/Rx rate)? Without additional information no one can help you.

if it is for example R7000 can have better wi-fi range and because of it better transfer speed

This is incorrect. AC86U is much newer hardware router and it's better in everything compared to R7000, including range.

The title says slow WiFi on one device only. Not, wired.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!