What's new

Sluggish AX88U web UI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CA5CA5

Occasional Visitor
I replaced my aging AC88U with and AX88U. I had the latest Merlin on my AC88U and installed the lates Merlin on the AX88U as well.

When opening the web interface it's pretty sluggish, like half the speed of what i get with the much older and weaker AC88U. Switching from page to page within the Web UI is not fun like this

Does anyone know what might be causing this or what I could do to fix this?

When you flashed the RT-AX88U with RMerlin firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults? Preferably with the method for your new router as outlined below?

Afterward, did you do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

Without using any saved backup config files (particularly ones from a different router and/or different firmware version than what is installed, now)?

When you flashed the RT-AX88U with RMerlin firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults? Preferably with the method for your new router as outlined below?

Afterward, did you do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

Without using any saved backup config files (particularly ones from a different router and/or different firmware version than what is installed, now)?

My first mistake was copying my AC88 config file from a Merlin Firmware to the AX88 router on Asus firmware. Realizing my mistake I then flashed the AX with the latest Merlin FW and copied the old config file again. It was pretty sluggish after that so I started searching here on SNB found out that old config files from other routers are no good at all and that I must do this manually. I then did a 30 30 30 reset and did a full manual config of the AX router. However I did not do the step that you mentioned in your post, a full reset directly after flashing Merlin FW according to that link.

After the AX router was setup I set up Aimesh for the first time between the AX88 and AC88 which took me a few attempts but only resetting the AC88 not the AX88

What do you recommend, reflash again then do the reset after flash? If so should i save current config file on the AX or bad idea since it's sluggish?

Yes if you already have rmerlin fw installed, best thing to do is to reset (thru Web GUI) router again and setup from scratch ?
(no need to reflash).

Do the recommended WPS (Hard Factory Reset) indicated for your model.

If you continue to have issues, then the reset steps may need to be repeated (sometimes, more than once). If doing the hard factory reset doesn't solve the problems, and doing a reset via the GUI (and checking the 'reset everything...' checkbox doesn't do anything either, then the following links may help.

Remember, first flash the firmware you want to use. Then do the full resets.

Do not toggle options on/off to see what they do, some of those options are 'sticky' and don't leave the router in the same state as not toggling them at all. The easiest way to get to a good/known state again is to do another proper reset.

Good luck.

Do the recommended WPS (Hard Factory Reset) indicated for your model.

If you continue to have issues, then the reset steps may need to be repeated (sometimes, more than once). If doing the hard factory reset doesn't solve the problems, and doing a reset via the GUI (and checking the 'reset everything...' checkbox doesn't do anything either, then the following links may help.

Remember, first flash the firmware you want to use. Then do the full resets.

Do not toggle options on/off to see what they do, some of those options are 'sticky' and don't leave the router in the same state as not toggling them at all. The easiest way to get to a good/known state again is to do another proper reset.

Good luck.
Which ones are sticky, that you know of?

They're (almost) all sticky, depending on what other options/features are enabled/used.

Flashing the firmware, doing a full reset, then doing an M&M install always leaves the router/network in its optimum state. Can't say I've seen the same when features are switched on/off to 'see what they do'.

They're (almost) all sticky, depending on what other options/features are enabled/used.

Flashing the firmware, doing a full reset, then doing an M&M install always leaves the router/network in its optimum state. Can't say I've seen the same when features are switched on/off to 'see what they do'.
Mm yeah ok.
What does M&M mean?

Ok Thank you all for the help. The procedure listed above worked well and I have it in a clean functioning state. I certainly took some time. Saving clean config files now

I found that my issues start when trying to install the Astrill VPN applet via SSH, it becomes sluggish after that. I tried it on two of the lastest Merlin FW's both the same results. It was working well for years on the AC88U unit but not this one.

Astrill supports recommends i go back 8 fw's to try an older release, not really liking that but I need VPN on my router too (in China). Anyway some tinkering to be done

Few more questions:

1. If I do flash an older firmware (386.4_0) , can i still use my currently clean state settings from the newer firmware? (388.2_2)
  2. When I SSH into my router, the date in putty is 2 days behind the actual date. How do I get this to the correct date?
    in the admin settings of the router I have set enable local NTP server to yes as I couldn't figure out another way to get the time to sync?

Cheers

Last edited:
The backup config files you created can be only used optimally and successfully on the router and firmware you created them on (after a full reset, as you just did). Using them anywhere else (i.e. different hardware, even if it is the same model of router or a different firmware version) is the same gamble as a dirty upgrade, and you may face the same issues as before the full resets above.

Going back 8 versions of a router's firmware isn't an option if you value security and stability. Those later firmwares weren't brought into existence because of boredom, but rather a necessity (whether the changelogs indicate anything or not). To me, this is never an option.

If you require a VPN for your own reasons, either get Astrill to support you fully, or simply find another VPN that works on current firmware instead.

The problem as you found out is obviously the 'applet' you're installing. Either get them to update it or use something else. Using outdated firmware is asking for trouble, either way.

Thank you for clearing that up and the good advice - I will stick with the current Merlin version and hope it will get sorted at some point. Astrill support is useless

Any idea why my router seems to be on the wrong time when logged into putty?

What client device are you using to access the router? Is the router's time zone set correctly? Does a reboot via the GUI fix the time zone discrepancy?

You may want to post a few relevant lines of your logs immediately after it has booted up to see further clues why the time is wrong (others may help with the logs you post).

A screenshot of your time zone settings may also help.

Using mainly a desktop win 11 pc the router normally, but also a win 11 laptop if i need to move around. Time zone is set to where i am China.

I tried setting Enable local NTP server to yes, reboot via GUI doesn't fix it

Screenshot of my time zone, i will post a log right after boot next

1683644332362.png

What client device are you using to access the router? Is the router's time zone set correctly? Does a reboot via the GUI fix the time zone discrepancy?

You may want to post a few relevant lines of your logs immediately after it has booted up to see further clues why the time is wrong (others may help with the logs you post).

A screenshot of your time zone settings may also help.

Tried another GUI reboot but same issues, it's 2 days behind

I am not sure what the relevant code is other than the first line initial clock set but here's a list of code

hope that that will do

May 9 23:30:07 ntpd: Initial clock set

May 9 23:30:07 rc_service: ntpd_synced 1724:notify_rc restart_diskmon

May 9 23:30:07 disk_monitor: Finish

May 9 23:30:07 disk_monitor: be idle

May 9 23:30:08 dnsmasq-dhcp[1359]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) 58:2d

May 9 23:30:08 dnsmasq-dhcp[1359]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.2.

May 9 23:30:08 dnsmasq-dhcp[1359]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) 04:cf:

May 9 23:30:08 dnsmasq-dhcp[1359]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.2.

May 9 23:30:08 kernel: br1: port 2(eth1.501) entered learning state

May 9 23:30:08 kernel: br1: port 4(eth3.501) entered learning state

May 9 23:30:09 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 100 mbps full duplex

May 9 23:30:09 kernel: br1: port 5(eth4.501) entered learning state

May 9 23:30:09 kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered listening state

May 9 23:30:09 kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered listening state

May 9 23:30:09 kernel: br1: port 3(eth2.501) entered listening state

May 9 23:30:09 kernel: br1: port 3(eth2.501) entered listening state

May 9 23:30:09 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): wl0.2: Assoc 54:EF:44:36:4:9E, status: Successful (0), rssi:-69

May 9 23:30:09 hostapd: wl0.2: STA 54:ef:44:36:4:9e IEEE 802.11: associated

May 9 23:30:09 kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set

May 9 23:30:09 kernel: random: nonblocking pool is initialized

May 9 23:30:09 httpd: Succeed to init SSL certificate...80

May 9 23:30:09 hostapd: wl0.2: STA 54:ef:44:36:4:9e RADIUS: starting accounting session DD93071188347DE5

May 9 23:30:09 hostapd: wl0.2: STA 54:ef:44:36:4:9e WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

May 9 23:30:09 kernel: cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain

May 9 23:30:09 kernel: br0: port 3(eth5) received tcn bpdu

May 9 23:30:09 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating

May 9 23:30:10 cfg_server: cm_updateChanspec call wl_chanspec_changed_action

May 9 23:30:10 cfg_server: event: wl_chanspec_changed_action_a101 of eid(0) of cfgs(1473)

May 9 23:30:10 cfg_server: skip event due static chan: wl1_chanspec:165/wl2_chanspec:

May 9 23:30:10 kernel: br0: port 3(eth5) received tcn bpdu

May 9 23:30:10 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating

May 9 23:30:11 kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered learning state

May 9 23:30:11 miniupnpd[1756]: HTTP listening on port 4615

May 9 23:30:11 miniupnpd[1756]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 531

You may need to include a few lines of code before the initial clock set too. Also, you should use the Code insert option (from the three-dot menu) to make the post more readable.

Eg.

Code:
This is code

Does using any other GMT +08:00 Time Zone work? There were some issues with certain ones, I recall.

You may need to include a few lines of code before the initial clock set too. Also, you should use the Code insert option (from the three-dot menu) to make the post more readable.

Eg.

Code:
This is code

Does using any other GMT +08:00 Time Zone work? There were some issues with certain ones, I recall.
I changed to several time zones - always with the same result - it's a few days behind 2 sometimes 3 days. Also added a secondary NTP server time.nist.gov but same result

I copied the syslog file and added it as attachment, it's quite long. Interesting is that is jumps from 10 may to 5 may for a while and then back to 10 may. I have attached the syslog rather clog this post with enormous amount of text.

Skynet refuses to install as well (followed the order in your guide) Diversion and Entware installed but skynet give me installation failed pretty much instantly, so more issues to iron out

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    352.1 KB · Views: 25
If this was a common issue, we would have heard about this already. Myself, I don't recall previous posts like this.

The router is not in a good/known state. I would flash the latest RMerlin 388.2.2 final firmware onto the router.

Then I would do a full reset to factory defaults, and test. I would repeat the flashing and resetting until the router behaves as expected.

Use the appropriate method for your router as listed above, after flashing (or re-flashing) the latest firmware, and hopefully, it solves the issues you're facing.

If the above doesn't work after a couple of times or so, the following may help you determine if your router was just really mixed up by the cross-model flashing of the backup config files, or, if you possibly have hardware issues with the new router.

If this was a common issue, we would have heard about this already. Myself, I don't recall previous posts like this.

The router is not in a good/known state. I would flash the latest RMerlin 388.2.2 final firmware onto the router.

Then I would do a full reset to factory defaults, and test. I would repeat the flashing and resetting until the router behaves as expected.

Use the appropriate method for your router as listed above, after flashing (or re-flashing) the latest firmware, and hopefully, it solves the issues you're facing.

If the above doesn't work after a couple of times or so, the following may help you determine if your router was just really mixed up by the cross-model flashing of the backup config files, or, if you possibly have hardware issues with the new router.

Ok I will try that again. Just to see if i can get Skynet to work on a clean state

I am already on the latest 388.2.2, within the router GUI the time is correct (except for that it jumps in time on the log) but in putty the time is always 3 days behind....not sure if that is the reason Skynet won't install. I can't be a putty thing either?

Other than that i am happy with how it performs. I managed to resolve the Astrill issue as well. I was using https to get into the GUI and port 8443, apparently I had to close that port, login via http and port 80, then it worked

I would love to have Skynet back though. With Skynet I experienced the same issues with my older AC88U unit. Skynet was working great for a couple of years then one day it stopped working, i tried reinstalling and it just gave the "Skynet not installed message"

I was certain that if i got a new router that it would work again but alas it's the same issues again. I did post the question here on this forum and nobody seemed to be able to help with it, so I ended up giving up on it. It was suggested that github was blocked on a router or ISP level but i can reach github perfectly fine with and without VPN without any issues.

Maybe it's the repositories that can't be reached for some reason, not sure how i can test that but it's a very strange issue that only I seem to have

Here's the link to me posting about this issues a couple years back post #14 - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/skynet-install.46330/

if nobody knows how to fix this I guess I'll just have to give up on skynet

Anyway all the help is very much appreciated