What's new

Sluggish AX88U web UI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The 'Skynet' issues sound like a problem with using 'cheap' USB 'keys'.

Instead, use an external enclosure with an M.2 SSD of 128GB or larger. That is the recommended setup for a few years now to use amtm + scripts + a swap file on an Asus RMerlin-powered router.

Don't underestimate the power of re-flashing the router (even with the same, installed, firmware) to get it to be stable once again.

The 'Skynet' issues sound like a problem with using 'cheap' USB 'keys'.

Instead, use an external enclosure with an M.2 SSD of 128GB or larger. That is the recommended setup for a few years now to use amtm + scripts + a swap file on an Asus RMerlin-powered router.

Don't underestimate the power of re-flashing the router (even with the same, installed, firmware) to get it to be stable once again.
Interesting, I am indeed using a cheap USB key. You're a wealth of knowledge on this, so 128GB ssd but the swap file still only at 2GB? The remaining space seems to like a ton of space for scripts alone.

I will certainly try to flash again tmr while my wife is away and

Also, is the changing to a brand new SSID each time really that important? I removed a space in the SSID the last time making it somewhat new and changed the passwords. I have a ton of devices to reconnect each time which takes a lot more time than i can afford. Like on a scale of 1 to 10 how much would you give it?

Myself, I use a 10GB (maximum that amtm allows) swap file. My reasoning is that I don't want to redo this in the future as new script requirements change.

The reason I recommend 128GB or bigger is that they are simply better quality (nand, controllers, and channels) and will be much more resistant to wearing out the nand and also for the slowdowns full SSDs exhibit. I don't worry about 'wasted' space. This is usually a one-time investment and can be used almost indefinitely in future routers too.

If the SSIDs and the passwords are fully Alphanumeric with no spaces, special characters, or smiley faces and are at least 8 characters long for the SSID and 16 characters for the passwords, try it once more.

If there are issues, you can always create a brand new Guest SSID and test to see if the SSID makes a difference or not. If it does, simply delete the Guest SSID and change the main ones to the new one that worked.

Myself? I rate all the suggestions in the guides I have aggregated as all rating a '10'. They are best practices for a reason, after all. But if the caveats apply to your current SSID, then you can quickly test (if needed) as above without too much hassle.

Myself, I use a 10GB (maximum that amtm allows) swap file. My reasoning is that I don't want to redo this in the future as new script requirements change.

The reason I recommend 128GB or bigger is that they are simply better quality (nand, controllers, and channels) and will be much more resistant to wearing out the nand and also for the slowdowns full SSDs exhibit. I don't worry about 'wasted' space. This is usually a one-time investment and can be used almost indefinitely in future routers too.

If the SSIDs and the passwords are fully Alphanumeric with no spaces, special characters, or smiley faces and are at least 8 characters long for the SSID and 16 characters for the passwords, try it once more.

If there are issues, you can always create a brand new Guest SSID and test to see if the SSID makes a difference or not. If it does, simply delete the Guest SSID and change the main ones to the new one that worked.

Myself? I rate all the suggestions in the guides I have aggregated as all rating a '10'. They are best practices for a reason, after all. But if the caveats apply to your current SSID, then you can quickly test (if needed) as above without too much hassle.

I've done 2 reflashes and 2 full hard resets, formatted the JFFS twice on reboots. It doesn't change anything. Tried putty and solar-putty tried a setting so the putty pulls the correct timezone, nothing that i do changes it. The boot log always starts on May 5th and then resets itself to May 11. And the time is off by 3 days when i log into putty or solar-putty. Seems to be nothing i can do about it.

I have added the log right after boot if anyone is interested.

Other than that the router seems to be doing everything it is supposed to do so I'm going to live with it though my OCD might not like it but I can't afford anymore downtime, . Hopefully a fw update in the future will change it.

I ordered m.2 ssd so when that arrives I'll start on getting skynet back.

thanks for all the help, learned a lot

Attachments

• syslog (1).txt
    57 KB · Views: 22
Yes, the firmware starts on the default, May 5, each time you reboot until it syncs the clock. May 11th seems to be correct though, after the sync.

I've never heard of this issue before (PuTTY not showing the correct time). Where are you seeing this in PuTTY? Can you post a screenshot for us?

I haven't heard of solar-putty, but have you used a Windows terminal to connect to the router to at least check if the behavior is the same?

Do you have any USB drives connected right now? Are you re-inserting any previously used amtm USB drives into the router after a reflash without first formatting the drive on a PC as NTFS first (if you were going to re-insert it into the router's USB ports?

I hope someone else can help here, I'm almost out of suggestions.

No I disconnected usb and have not reinserted it, not using usb ports until the m.2 arrives

1683815427162.png

1683815535863.png

Then it must be an issue on your computer if I'm understanding the environment here correctly.

Alright if it has nothing to do with the router than it's functioning like it should, the May 5 thing was confusing but if you say that is normal then I'm happy with that.

PC might be regional settings set to Europe rather than China but the time is still off by 15 min and date is off by 4 days from the time and date on my PC which syncs with time.windows.com but if it's not router related than I won't press it any further here.

Thanks again

It's almost as if there's another device on your network acting as an ntp server, and possibly dhcp server too (the sluggishness). Or a double connection causing dhcp storm. I may be way off though.
I can't remember if the ac88u has LAG but has this ever been used on your network?

It's almost as if there's another device on your network acting as an ntp server, and possibly dhcp server too (the sluggishness). Or a double connection causing dhcp storm. I may be way off though.
I can't remember if the ac88u has LAG but has this ever been used on your network?
yes previously I used the AC88U on my network with 2 other access points behind it. I had this for setup for years and the GUI was very fast so I couldn't imagine the newer AX88U would be slower somehow. Thankfully reflashing and resetting the AX88U unit up from scratch according to L&LD's helpful posts have removed the issues of sluggishness. The AC88U unit is now operating as a node in AiMesh and all is working well now.