1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Small Farm Project - 2 Buildings and Outdoor Area

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by Webb Rousse, May 16, 2018.

1. Webb Rousse

Webb Rousse New Around Here

Hello all. I am establishing a small farm in a rural area that requires 24/7 surveillance. I have attached a document outlining the following:

1. Satellite image of area
    2. Diagram of area outlining 3 locations for coverage (Building 1, Building 2 and Outdoor fenced-in Area)
    3. Diagrams of 3 locations including proposed camera locations to ensure coverage.

I will be establishing satellite internet to the location which will terminate in Building #1. Key challenges are as follows:

-Distance from North corner of Building 2 to furthest camera in Outdoor area is ~500 feet and over creek
    -Regulatory requirements are 24x7 @ 1280x720 in all lighting conditions, Minimum 10 FPS, Onsite storage of video with continuous backup to offsite, 90 days onsite and 30 days offsite

With this I was wondering if a wireless camera solution would apply here based on distances and reg requirements. Can obviously cover the 2 buildings but was wondering if their is a solution to extend the wireless in Building 2 to the outdoor area (~500 feet to furthest camera.) Also trying to figure out the storage on the video. Any insight to a potential solution/architecture and equipment would be appreciated.

Thanks

-webb

Attached Files:

2. degrub

degrub Very Senior Member

Have you evaluated underground fiber runs ?

3. Webb Rousse

Webb Rousse New Around Here

I have considered but wanted to vet out the wireless route first. Open to all options that meet the specifications.

4. netwrks

netwrks Senior Member

umarmung likes this.
  5. umarmung

umarmung Regular Contributor

Nanobeams for the networking aspect is a great alternative to fiber.

For the camera side, check out ipcamtalk. Those guys are nuts about cameras, have their own discounted market, have experts who discover zero-day vulnerabilities, many camera professionals and the most complex small business and prosumer setups you can imagine.