What's new

Smart Connect Rules? RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tallytr

We have 2 iPhones and they mostly connect to the 2.4Ghz band although they have a signal strength of ~59dBm, shouldn't they steer to the 5GHz band?
They do steer eventually but only if they are closer to the router than I think should be the case...
RT-AX86U
What do I change to make them prefer, "steer sooner" to the 5GHz band?
I can't figure this out.

Smart Connection.jpg

You are using the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHZ? If not you should use the Dual Band SmartConnect. And don't worry if your devices choose one band over another. If they are connecting and maintaining a connection it is a good thing! Yes, you can force a device to another band (WIFI MAC Filter) but for my network leaving the settings at default has proven to be best.

We have 2 iPhones and they mostly connect to the 2.4Ghz band although they have a signal strength of ~59dBm, shouldn't they steer to the 5GHz band?
They do steer eventually but only if they are closer to the router than I think should be the case...
RT-AX86U
What do I change to make them prefer, "steer sooner" to the 5GHz band?
I can't figure this out.

View attachment 25804

I changed the 2.4 ‘-62’ to be ‘-70’. (For both steering, & sta.)

That seems to have reduced the enthusiasm of the iPhones to jump onto the 2.4 band.:)

Do you notice this when you come home? If so, what’s happening is the phone sees the 2.4ghz band first since it has further range and connects to it. We have iPhones in our house and they pretty quickly hop over to the 5GHz band once we get inside. Occasionally it may take them a minute or 2 to make the jump but they always do 100% of the time. If that’s what’s happening in your case I wouldn’t worry too much about it. If the internet works everybody should be happy.