What's new

Smart devices won't connect to 2.4GHz on AC-88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

n00b2

New Around Here
So I'm trying to setup a Harmony Hub, a Broadlink RM33 Pro and a few Tuya smart light switches to my AC-88U on Merlin firmware 384.14_2 and also the phone apps and I am having issues getting them to connect. I don't know if its because of interference on the 2.4GHz band or other settings issues but basically it has been very difficult to set them up.

One of the light switches synched to the phone app after about 20 reset attempts. The other 2 wouldn't sync at all. The Broadlink app would find the hub by first connecting to the Broadlink's own wifi and then passing on the router's SSID and password but the app and hub won't connect to each other at all to set anything up. The Harmony app would connect to the hub using bluetooth to pass on the router's SSID and password, the Asus network map would say it is connected but the hub had a red light indicating connected but no internet. The app also had difficulties actually connecting to the hub directly, about 5% of the time it would connect but lose connection part way thru setting it up. The rest of the time it wouldn't be able to connect to the hub though it knows it's there and what IP it is at.

I got around the setting up issue by getting another phone and naming that phone's hotspot's SSID and password the same as my 2.4GHz network and connecting to that. Once I set everything up on that network I turned off the hotspot and turned back on the 2.4GHz network and everything connected back to the SSID fine however that only works for things that are already setup. The Harmony app won't connect to the hub again and I can only use the remote it came with and not the phone app. If I need to change any settings I need to log back into the hotspot wifi again.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it? The router is in the same room as the smart devices, it is set to only 20MHz channel bandwidth and Set AP Isolated is set to No.

So I'm trying to setup a Harmony Hub, a Broadlink RM33 Pro and a few Tuya smart light switches to my AC-88U on Merlin firmware 384.14_2 and also the phone apps and I am having issues getting them to connect. I don't know if its because of interference on the 2.4GHz band or other settings issues but basically it has been very difficult to set them up.

One of the light switches synched to the phone app after about 20 reset attempts. The other 2 wouldn't sync at all. The Broadlink app would find the hub by first connecting to the Broadlink's own wifi and then passing on the router's SSID and password but the app and hub won't connect to each other at all to set anything up. The Harmony app would connect to the hub using bluetooth to pass on the router's SSID and password, the Asus network map would say it is connected but the hub had a red light indicating connected but no internet. The app also had difficulties actually connecting to the hub directly, about 5% of the time it would connect but lose connection part way thru setting it up. The rest of the time it wouldn't be able to connect to the hub though it knows it's there and what IP it is at.

I got around the setting up issue by getting another phone and naming that phone's hotspot's SSID and password the same as my 2.4GHz network and connecting to that. Once I set everything up on that network I turned off the hotspot and turned back on the 2.4GHz network and everything connected back to the SSID fine however that only works for things that are already setup. The Harmony app won't connect to the hub again and I can only use the remote it came with and not the phone app. If I need to change any settings I need to log back into the hotspot wifi again.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it? The router is in the same room as the smart devices, it is set to only 20MHz channel bandwidth and Set AP Isolated is set to No.
I don't know if this will help but I have had similar connection issues after an update. All I need to do is a hard /factory reset and it fixes it. Ps welcome to the forum

I don't know if this will help but I have had similar connection issues after an update. All I need to do is a hard /factory reset and it fixes it. Ps welcome to the forum
Thanks for the reply and welcome. I actually managed to fix it not too long ago. For some reason a hard factory reset after flashing Merlin didn't fix the issue. However I went and reflashed stock Asus firmware and factory reset and that fixed it and it has stayed working after reflashing Merlin back onto it. No idea why I had to flash stock firmware first to get it to work though.

Thanks for the reply and welcome. I actually managed to fix it not too long ago. For some reason a hard factory reset after flashing Merlin didn't fix the issue. However I went and reflashed stock Asus firmware and factory reset and that fixed it and it has stayed working after reflashing Merlin back onto it. No idea why I had to flash stock firmware first to get it to work though.
Sounds like you got a bad / dirty flash first time around. It happens Ps I have the same router and although they are a great bit of hardware they can be very touchy I've found