What's new

SMB Issue with Mac

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Katy

Occasional Visitor
Hello-I just updated my Asus Router RT88U with Merlin 384.19. I have a USB connected to the router. Now it is taking a long time to access files in the drive. I have all Macs.
My setup in SAMBA
Samba Protocol: SMB1
Enable Share: On
Simpler share naming (without the disk name): No
Force as Master Browser: Yes
Set as WINS server: No

Can anyone help me figure out what change since I did the update? As an example, when I tried to copy a file from drive to my desktop of 1.4 mb or more it doesn't copy and I have to stop the process.

Thank you.

Mac OS dropped native support for Samba 1.0 (and I think 2.0 too) a few versions back. They claimed the reason why was due to insecure password transmission. Why not try with Samba 2.x or 3.x? Alternatively, there is a program for MacOS called SMBUp that swaps the Apple written MacOS Samba drivers for the stock Unix SMB drivers, to allow people with newer versions of MacOS to communicate via older versions of Samba. The irony is I went to Merlin firmware so I wouldn't have to use that 3rd party solution. My apologies for not having exact information, this was years ago that I fought this battle, and I've forgotten the specifics.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/41541/smbup

Last edited:
Mac OS dropped native support for Samba 1.0 (and I think 2.0 too) a few versions back. They claimed the reason why was due to insecure password transmission.

Apple dropped smbclient direct support when the Samba Project moved from GPLv2 to GPLv3, and implemented their own CIFS stack...

That being said - Samba works just fine on Macs - just need a more recent version of Samba on the server side - AsusWRT has a pretty old version, and it's non-trivial to backport later versions in...

Thanks for the responses. I ended doing an ethernet connection from Asus router to an old AirPort Extreme I had. I then put the hard drive on the AirPort Extreme and made it a bridge device and now I can access files with not problem. I hope Merlin does a new release for Samba before my AirPort gives out.

I hope Merlin does a new release for Samba before my AirPort gives out.

Newer Samba releases are much larger - and it's a bit of a pain as some of the API and config hooks have changed....