What's new

SMB Over The Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dsneed

Occasional Visitor
Running an RC-AC86U with Merlin 386.10. I have SMB/Network Share working locally. I am trying to figure out how to get the SMB shares accessible over the internet, so an app on my iPhone can access them from anywhere, without a VPN needed.

Can someone help?

Running an RC-AC86U with Merlin 386.10. I have SMB/Network Share working locally. I am trying to figure out how to get the SMB shares accessible over the internet, so an app on my iPhone can access them from anywhere, without a VPN needed.

Can someone help?
Not a good idea! Or another way to look at it is a great way to get hacked. SMB is not all that secure...

Instant Guard works as a simple VPN to access your router from the internet. The iOS app for instant guard works well but also add the Asus router app. Or use OpenVPN. Or both.

I would like to semi-hijack this thread as I am having issues accessing a SMB share over a VPN. Currently over my LAN I am accessing a shared folder on a Windows 10 machine from multiple Android TV devices via an app's SMB sharing capabilities. Where I am having issues is when I'm not at home. I have a "travel" router that is connected to my home router's OpenVPN server (both LAN and interent checked) via OpenVPN in TUN mode. With devices connected to the travel router I can browse the internet but cannot access the shared folder. Any ideas? I've done some Googling but can't seem to find any information regarding my specific issue.

@doczenith1 Check your Windows Firewall rule for port 445 [File and Printer Sharing (SMB-in)]. This is normally set for Local subnet only, so it will block anything from the VPN as it does not have a local IP address. You can add your VPN's subnet address to the firewall rule's Scope.

@doczenith1 Check your Windows Firewall rule for port 445 [File and Printer Sharing (SMB-in)]. This is normally set for Local subnet only, so it will block anything from the VPN as it does not have a local IP address. You can add your VPN's subnet address to the firewall rule's Scope.
That worked. Thank you!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!