What's new

SNBForums Policy on ASUS TM-AC1900 Conversion Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please clarify, how is any TM-AC1900 owner in this thread keeping you from "the business of making a good router great"? Are you that hung up over something not even in your direct space to be rendered non-functional? You've got some bigger issues if this is the case. If it isn't then why are you trolling?

After seeing a few posts like the ones I quoted, I was pondering why "legit" owners (meaning their hardware has a different label printed on the same exact hardware) keep complaining about or even visiting this thread? Are we coming into your threads and causing a disturbance like you are coming into ours. You have no right to have a beef with us. I mean really, are you jealous that you paid three times as much for a different sticker? This is the only reason I can think of . Is your life really that boring that you are bothered by such things? What have you lost because of this thread? We aren't even posting in the same threads as you. Why do you come and post in our thread? You don't even have a say here (since you own the overpriced sticker model). Would you be happy if we start trolling your AiMesh threads?

I tell you, many of the TM-AC1900 owners just can't afford two AC68Us (or would have to trade off with buying clothing for their kids or something). They bought this in the hopes of having an affordable mesh system. You think it's funny now because poor people can't have the nice AiMesh setup that you can afford? You want them to just go away? That $40-$50 x2 is a lot of money to some people. They bought this knowing it was a bit of a risk going in, but seeing a big company purposely stick it to them by conspiring against their investment (and this conspiracy has literally has zero chance to make any significant improvement in Asus' bottom line) gives them a legitimate gripe here.

Well, sorry, we are going to always have the latest AiMesh firmware. for the TM-AC1900. I have had it since day one (yes even when Asus tried to prevent it). Any stupid measures that Asus tries to take are easily circumvented by a reverse engineer worth half his salt. Sorry you paid way too much for the same hardware. I can't change that. Asus trying to prevent this firmware from running on the TM just makes it interesting for me and others like me. I brought AiMesh to this router and I will keep it there. Thanks Asus, you just made this fun for the enthusiasts, and for white hats like me. The TM -> AiMesh user base will grow because of your ignorant actions, not shrink. You are ignorant and have not learned from history, so you will have to learn from your own experience. It's game on...

Did that sound serious enough? of just cheezy LOL? I am serious about keeping any FW that Asus releases for the AC68U running on the TM-AC1900 though. I will make it happen because its fun to me now and I love a challenge (I wasn't kidding about me being a white hat).

I told you so...

I tell you, many of the TM-AC1900 owners just can't afford two AC68Us (or would have to trade off with buying clothing for their kids or something). They bought this in the hopes of having an affordable mesh system. You think it's funny now because poor people can't have the nice AiMesh setup that you can afford? You want them to just go away? That $40-$50 x2 is a lot of money to some people.

I doubt poor people are hacking TM routers to extend WiFi coverage for their very large homes and many wireless clients to keep clothes on their kids.

People are hacking TM routers because it's a fun and cheap way to get a decent router. And they are free to continue doing so subject to the usual risks.

OE

Please clarify, how is any TM-AC1900 owner in this thread keeping you from "the business of making a good router great"? Are you that hung up over something not even in your direct space to be rendered non-functional? You've got some bigger issues if this is the case. If it isn't then why are you trolling?
I read many more threads in each forum than my immediate needs require, because for 60 years I have had a consuming interest in technology and in electronics in particular. I enjoy learning about new features and enhancements that I, or my clients, might find useful.

I also manage six forums (not in SNB). What I am seeing here is gripes about Tim's preferences relevant to a decision ASUS has made, and his desire to minimize the toxic effect many of the rants have on his forum. And yes, it IS his to manage as he pleases. If you feel that you have a right to express your opinion but I do not, feel free to block my messages.

After discussing it with @thiggins, we agreed that at this point, considering this device has long been EOL, it was time to drop this rule. If people can find ways to avoid TM-AC1900 from ending up as e-waste, then it's a Good Thing, and as this is an 8 years old device, I doubt either T-Mobile or Asus would complain.

That being said, one thing stays unchanged: that device is NOT support by Asuswrt-Merlin, and anyone trying to get things to work on it is entirely on their own, as I won't waste my time (or the community's time) trying to help people figure out issues that are caused by Asus's undisclosed protection measures they might have in place.

I will be unsticking this thread inf a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!