What's new

SNMP results SPIKEY on Asus RT-N66U router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fred Johnston

Occasional Visitor
I upgraded my Asus RT-N16 (Tomato) to RT-N66U (Merlin) and my old router had beautiful accurate SNMP graph using NetUse Traffic Monitor on my mac.

Now the graph is SPIKEY and not accurate (it shows spikes of 9Mbps and my max DSL is about 5Mbps).

I ran and upload and download test, and spikes are about 3x what the true average should be.

You can see results on YouTube at

Can this be fixed? (I can't find any averaging settings in my NetUse Traffic Monitor.

Hello Mr. Merlin... have you seen this issue?

Can anyone that actually HAS this router test and report back?

I have used multiple pieces of software on multiple platforms (Win/OSX/Android).
I have paid software that has ALWAYS worked on MULTIPLE routers.

ALL free/paid s/w exhibit the EXACT SAME issue. SPIKEY values, too high, then flats between.
It appears the router is giving screwy values!
If it were a COUNTER, it would keep INCREMENTING!

you havent mentioned which firmware version your running.
aslo run an isolatiom test leave only one computer plugged in, could be an app pulling alot of data at once. Last resort is a factory reset and a re configure.

Last edited:
Firmware is current version 380.66_4.
I've done all of that... i have TWO of these routers, so i don't need to factory.
(one is a backup in case the other fails)
Do YOU ACTUALLY have this router?
If not, I'm looking for someone to test theirs on, that would be a great help.

Ok, i had my doubts, but went to all the trouble... same crap, different day.
DID NOT FIX IT...
Do you ACTUALLY HAVE and USE this router and SNMP?
I'm looking for someone who actually uses it, as it does NOT appear to work properly!
RMerlin, are you reading any of these?
THANKS!

Check the snmpd update interval - might be too short, so you see the peaks, and not an averaged value - not sure what Tomato is using, but it sure sounds like it's different that what RMerlin's fork of AsusWRT uses.

Should be able to crawl the MIB, see what the default is, and then use snmpset to tune the default update period.

Do some homework, study up on SNMP, and report back your successful finding to share with the community.

Asking for help, and then saying you know everything... that is a long path towards getting assistance - just saying...

I'm certainly not saying i know everything... I have done some research on SNMP. I've used my SNMP software (multiple s/w on multiple platforms on multiple devices), and I always just POINTED at the device, and the s/w showed nice averaged values. So i think you're right (and my suspicion) is that something is whacky on the Merlin side... maybe I'll have to go the Tomato route... I've ordered a managed switch to sit in the middle, to try and get back to having some sane SNMP graphs. My old Asus had great graphs, and i miss that. Thanks for your reply.

Again - snmpwalk the device, see what the intervals are...

For Macs - you might consider... assuming your router is 192.168.1.0 - you can do this on the MacOS terminal

sudo snmpwalk -c public -v1 192.168.1.0 > snmpwalk.txt

Then you can search for the appropriate line item in the MIB - and either adjust your client or the snmpd accordingly.

My old Asus had great graphs, and i miss that

I get it, I understand... that being said - it could be your client SW running on the Mac, and assumptions there on the developer...

RMerlin's AsusWRT generally does ok with SNMP - works fine with rrdtool based platforms like Cacti/MRTG and the Windows based PRTG.

fwiw... Here's the snnpwalk.txt from my Mac...
(attached...)

my network interface is ppp0

Attachments

• snmpwalk.txt
    49.7 KB · Views: 664
Firmware is current version 380.66_4.
I've done all of that... i have TWO of these routers, so i don't need to factory.
(one is a backup in case the other fails)
Do YOU ACTUALLY have this router?
If not, I'm looking for someone to test theirs on, that would be a great help.
i dont, but a have tech freind that does.

I've SNMP running on my RT-AC66 with Merlin software from the beginning. Now it's 380.62_1.
Despite some troubles in extensible configuration I've come across, basic SNMP functions work great.
Some advanced features like "extend" are not, more likely due to the decomposition/rebuild of the original asus code for the privacy reasons.

However, I've never used such aggressive timing (like 1-3 s as shown on a video ?) for snmp data collection. 5 minutes between snmp get requests is a reasonable minimum. Especially, if you have a number of OIDs to poll. Traffic graphs were always upto real amount of data passing through...

I've attached some graphes from my cacti.
graph_image1.png
graph_image2.png
graph_image3.png

I am running Merlin 380.65 on my RT-N66U in Media Bridge mode and have no issues at all with the base SNMP interface OIDs. They look very similar to what Paxton posted.

upload_2017-6-26_14-49-58.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!