What's new

Solid core UTP to AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Discy

Occasional Visitor
How to connect solid core UTP cable to a ceiling mounted AP on concrete ceiling?

Are there any options beside surface mounted keystones and junction boxes?

Which method gives the cleanest result and/or is preferred?
If junction box is prefered: How would I go about hiding it - if possible?
Perhaps a solution that would fit inside the available cable space within the AP?

Looking forward to hear your experiences.

1600858511715.png

There is a product called Wiremold that comes in metal or plastic that is good to run UTP over a surface. There are several manufacturers with there own brand name that make a similar product. The product line has fittings and boxes to go with the straight "conduit" runs. Most offer more than one color as well.

Are we talking about the same thing?
I'm talking about conversion from solid cable that runs through my house, to stranded in order to attach an RJ45 connector to insert into an ceiling mounted accesspoint.
If we are - Could you provide a link to what product exactly you're referring to?

I don't think we're understanding the problem. If you simply want to plug an Ethernet cable into the AP why not do just that, why do you need to "convert" it a stranded cable? Is it because the solid cable is too inflexible to route under the AP?

No it is because an RJ45 connector isn't meant to be attached to a solid cable directly. Patch boxes, keystones and my in-wall boxes are.
To attach an RJ45 connector, a stranded cable should be used.

Last edited:
I see. So going back to @bbunge's Wiremold suggestion, is this the sort of thing you're after?

loa-2400-securitycamera-bluewall.ashx

Other than using a surface mount box you might be able to use an RJ45 coupler, that's about as small as you can physically get. 61nQNBFQhbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Second option won't work as there is no connector on the solid-cable.
As for the first, yes it will but seems a bit bulky for my purpose.
Below are the cleanest option I could find. Was hoping for some advice/experience from you guys for a neat solution....

Wall-mountable junction box with built in keystone:

1600866877500.png

Or a wall-mountable keystone housing with seperate keystone:
1600867003600.png

Or maybe even just the keystone itself without housing...

1600867111171.png

Or....? What do you guys use?

No those regular connectors should only be used with stranded cables. You'd use an RJ45 crimptool to connect them, as I'm sure you're familiar with. Notice that the one I sent contains a keystone and is much more bulky because of it, this can be used with solid cables. Instead of a crimptool, you'd use a punchtool to connect the wires. I didn't know the latter kind of keystone-plug-combination-directly-on-cable existed until just now.
Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
The product I linked to is more heavy duty than the older generic Cat5 plugs. It clearly states that they can be used with stranded and solid cables. "RJ 45 connector supports 22 to 24 solid or stranded wire". I don't know what the specs of the cable you are using are.

Last edited:
Sorry, missed that. Hmm I guess in that case it doesn't have to be this complicated and I can just use those kind of more solid plugs. The cable is 23AWG so seems fine!

You can crimp a CAT 5 or CAT 6 plug to solid UTP and it will work just fine as long as you do not move the cable as in a desktop connection. Stranded cable is made for connectins that are subject to movement/reconnection. Never use a RJ45 coupling to connect Ethernet cables! If you plan to use a patch cable to connect the AP use a CAT 5 or CAT 6 receptacle in a box at the end of the solid UTP.

Note: Technically, RJ45 is different from CAT 5 or 6 plugs or recepticles. But many don't know or care and use the term interchangeably.

Most Cat 5 or Cat 6 wiring used in walls and ceilings is made with solid conductors. Stranded Ethernet cables are normally used for patch and jumper cables.

I have personally attached dozens of standard RJ45 plugs to solid cable with no issues. In fact it is much easier to terminate and attach male RJ45 plugs to stranded cables as it is easier to guide the individual wires into the collect groove in the plug.

Here's your answer: provided you have enough service loop at the AP-end of the run, simply terminate the solid core UTP itself to an RJ45 connector. Remember, you're terminating to a non-moving object, so going straight from the cable run is fine; in fact, optimal. Fewer points of failure. Less line loss.

Presuming we're talking 23AWG Cat6/6a, you'll want pass-through RJ45 connectors with wide enough holes, staggered positioning (to meet Cat6 cross-talk spec) and three-prong teeth to straddle the solid core. Here's an example on Amazon.

Thanks guys. I'm new to cabling (always bought of the shelve) so this will be the first connectors I fit. Definitely want to avoid any issues with the cables themselves as that will be hard for me to debug.
Keeping that in mind, wouldn't a connector like below be a safer option? Or would that be considered overkill by you guys/I should definitely be fine using those sturdier plugs proposed by you guys?

https://www.kabelshop.nl/Hirschmann...-kern-Field-plug-695020666-i15803-t25959.html

Thanks guys. I'm new to cabling (always bought of the shelve) so this will be the first connectors I fit. Definitely want to avoid any issues with the cables themselves as that will be hard for me to debug.
Keeping that in mind, wouldn't a connector like below be a safer option? Or would that be considered overkill by you guys/I should definitely be fine using those sturdier plugs proposed by you guys?

https://www.kabelshop.nl/Hirschmann...-kern-Field-plug-695020666-i15803-t25959.html

Yes a little overkill. The connectors are huge. Making RJ-45 cables is not hard, but a pain sometimes. Be sure and purchase an cheap cable tester. They can be had cheap on ebay (less than $5)

Attachments

• cable tester.jpg
    cable tester.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 140

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!