What's new

Newbie needing buying help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abfarris

New Around Here
Heads up im quite a novice

Issue:
Currently have a single router providing service for a small business downstairs (coffee shop) and my
apartment upstairs. The separation between the two is a tin ceiling, crawl space and pipes, and a solid
4+ inch slab of concrete.
As you can imagine the service upstairs is always weak and at times completely drops and/or the traffic
from people downstairs bogs down the line slowing speeds dramatically. Currently there are no priority
or speed restrictions in place so service is a free‐for‐all.
There is a cut out in the concrete floor/ceiling that we can fit a cat 5 cable through, so we were planning
to run a wire from the downstairs router upstairs and add another router as a 2nd access point. I would
like to have the upstairs with higher security, ability to have network storage, faster speeds than
downstairs, and priority over the downstairs traffic.
I’m not exactly sure exactly what I should purchase as a 2nd router, or where my money will be best
spent to accomplish my needs. I would like to stay with Netgear if possible since I am most familiar with
it, like genie and cloud storage. I’m not necessarily looking for the best/fastest possible setup, mainly
just to be able to stream video upstairs without constant interruption for the best value solution.
Current Specs:
Router: Netgear N600 WNDR3800
Internet Service: AT&T 18mbps (will most likely be changing to cable @ 50mbps, which is the fastest
available in our area in the next few months)
Upstairs: Want to be able to stream video on 2 devices upstairs without interruption (1 can be Ethernet
wired). We aren’t gamers. We do have several wifi devices that we use (or have purchased and want to
use) (phones, tablets, computers, printers, scanners, scales, lights, locks). Need centralized wifi network
storage for documents, photos, videos, etc. We don’t want the guests or coffee shop to be using the
upstairs network, so we would like a separate SSID for the upstairs.
Downstairs: Need to provide a guest SSID network that is isolated. Need to provide additional network
SSID for the coffee shop that can serve to stream house music, voip phone service, connect to the point
of sale, and 2 security cameras. I don’t really care how fast the guest network is, it is provided as a
convenience for light browsing and we want to discourage HD streaming, gaming, and torrent
downloading. There is also open public wifi network option available in the vicinity that customers can
use if they so choose. Usually no more than 20 people would likely be on the guest network at the
same time.
Questions:
I have been looking at the Nighthawk AC1900, can I wire this router to the upstairs or will the primary
router need to be the more advanced one? Would this router be overkill or useless if being used in
conjunction with the N600?

Am I better off
A: buying (1) $180 Nighthawk AC1900 and using the N600,
B: buying (2) $90 N900’s
C: (1) $75 N600 and using the current N600
D: another option?

Will beamforming be beneficial? How beneficial?
Suggestions on setting up QoS (priority).
How do We need to set it up, which should be Primary router, which should be 2nd Access Point? Which
do we set the settings on? Should we connect the AP through WAN or LAN? What should external
storage for network storage be hooked up to?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

D: Asus router with RMerlin firmware.

RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U or higher.

You will have the Asus router as the main router in the upstairs apartment for security and speed reasons.

You will use the current router you have as an AP for the café via the CAT5e or higher cable you will run between the upstairs and downstairs areas.

With the above in place, use the 192.168.xxx.xxx private IP range for your Asus router. Plug the WNDR3800's WAN port into a LAN port of your Asus router and configure it to use the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx Private IP range for your café.

Test before 'going live' that there is no way for a user to connect to your Asus (192.168.xxx.xxx) network devices.

At this point, I would 'turn on' all AiProtection options in the Asus router, including DNS Filtering options as appropriate.

In the Adaptive QoS section, use the bandwidth limiter on the WNDR3800 to a level you're comfortable with (if you are currently offering everyone 18Mbps, somewhere between 15 to 20 Mbps should be enough).

hth.

D: Asus router with RMerlin firmware.

RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U or higher.

You will have the Asus router as the main router in the upstairs apartment for security and speed reasons.

You will use the current router you have as an AP for the café via the CAT5e or higher cable you will run between the upstairs and downstairs areas.

With the above in place, use the 192.168.xxx.xxx private IP range for your Asus router. Plug the WNDR3800's WAN port into a LAN port of your Asus router and configure it to use the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx Private IP range for your café.

Test before 'going live' that there is no way for a user to connect to your Asus (192.168.xxx.xxx) network devices.

At this point, I would 'turn on' all AiProtection options in the Asus router, including DNS Filtering options as appropriate.

In the Adaptive QoS section, use the bandwidth limiter on the WNDR3800 to a level you're comfortable with (if you are currently offering everyone 18Mbps, somewhere between 15 to 20 Mbps should be enough).

hth.
Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk