What's new

Tutorial [SOLUTION] Asuswrt-Merlin Tor via Bridge, Device, Browser, Entry (Guard)/Middle (Non-Exit) Relay, and Device/Browser/Relay Hybrid Implementations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've incorrectly run it - I needed to provide a 'torrc' file as an $1 input.
Anyway, now I have 2 'torrc' files (/tmp/torrc & /tmp/tor/torrc), both are the same, attaching them as well.
Asuswrt-Merlin uses /tmp/torrc by default.
Now, I've run 'service restart_tor' command, but I can't find the tor process when I run 'ps | grep tor', nor I can see any files under /tmp/tor/torrc.d/ and there is no download/upload traffic, so I would guess tor doesn't work.
Asuswrt-Merlin uses Tor (capital T) by default.
What seems to be the problem?
original files available at: https://filebin.net/94x2kajxz2yx4e5o
I've found that running Tor manually without the -quiet option helps to validate the torrc. I would also recommend reviewing the /tmp/torlog for errors.

BTW... Common issues are Nickname cannot be longer than 18 characters and ensure your DataDirectory is pointing to the correct location.

I was having issues with Option #3 - Browser option - I couldn't get the Socks5 proxy listening on port 9050. After reading thru this, looked to be a similar issue of not having the input file, and then also just missing the standard "#!/bin/sh". I needed to add two lines at the top to get it working, then the rest is the same.

Code:
# vi /jffs/scripts/torrc.postconf
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
HOSTIPADDR=$(hostname -i)
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

if [ "$HOSTIPADDR" != "" ]; then HOSTIPADDR="${HOSTIPADDR}:"; fi

pc_insert "SocksPort 9050" "SocksPort ${HOSTIPADDR}9050" $CONFIG

I was having issues with Option #3 - Browser option - I couldn't get the Socks5 proxy listening on port 9050. After reading thru this, looked to be a similar issue of not having the input file, and then also just missing the standard "#!/bin/sh". I needed to add two lines at the top to get it working, then the rest is the same.

Code:
# vi /jffs/scripts/torrc.postconf
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
HOSTIPADDR=$(hostname -i)
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

if [ "$HOSTIPADDR" != "" ]; then HOSTIPADDR="${HOSTIPADDR}:"; fi

pc_insert "SocksPort 9050" "SocksPort ${HOSTIPADDR}9050" $CONFIG

@SoFluffy

I've updated the original post.

Thank you for the correction.

Respectfully,