What's new

SOLVED: Ax88u dropping WiFi on certain devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

S.claus

Regular Contributor
I have been getting disconnects on some of my devices while others stay connected no problem. I was simply curious if anybody else had the same problem and how you resolved it.

Router: Ax88u 384.15 & 384.14
DNS: Cloudflare using DNSSEC and DNS over TLS

PC USB Ac54 - It disconnects for a few minutes and then it performs like there was nothing wrong (Chrome says its a DNS error).I suspected the adapter /port so I switched to the Netgear Xr500 and it doesn't seem to happen.
Asus laptop - It indicates there's no internet but seems to recover a lot faster than the desktop
PS4- No disconnects
Iphones-No disconnects

Are the disconnects on 2.4 or 5 GHz? Are the devices that disconnect older?

Try looking for a new driver for the Wi-Fi card.

Try disabling Wi-Fi 6 / HE as an experiment and see if the devices connect.

They disconnect on the 2.4 and 5GHz band. They support wifi 5 (AC) so no their not that old
USB AC54 last driver version available is 2017/02/06 . The laptop is an ASUS ROG Zephyrus M GU502GV (did confirm everything is up to date)
I have tested most of my wifi setting including turning of Wifi 6 support and leaving the router settings stock besides basic setup

Thanks for the info. I have no other suggestions.

Try the usual: disable Airtime Fairness, implicit beamforming, set a fixed channel instead of leaving it on Auto.

Also check the Wireless Log to see if your device really disconnect, or if they just have Internet connectivity issues (two very different problems). The Wireless Log will tell you the connect time of your device.

Resolved

Edit: It was a power management setting that was incorrect on both PCs resulting in the network going into a hibernation state.Thank you @RMerlin and @thiggins for assisting me

Last edited:
Resolved

Edit: It was a power management setting that was incorrect on both PCs resulting in the network going into a hibernation state.Thank you @RMerlin and @thiggins for assisting me

I suspect there are many out there complaining about unstable Asus/Merlin fw which might would get their problems fixed like yours if they did the same...

I know at least Microsoft "silently" and repeatedly through several updates the last couple of years have changed several settings which have caused strange network problems.

Care to eloborate what exactly you did to fix your problem?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!