What's new

[SOLVED] dnsmasq-dhcp posting every ~30mins

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bookedirl

Occasional Visitor
Updated to 378_56

A variety of laptops,tv,phones etc.. are all posting this:

Oct 27 12:21:52 dnsmasq-dhcp[449]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.86 <mac>
Oct 27 12:21:52 dnsmasq-dhcp[449]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.86 <mac> <name>
Oct 27 12:21:52 dnsmasq-dhcp[449]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.3 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1

Some are wireless and some are wired. The devices connect to the internet. Anyone know whats up here? I saw another post but it was related to a samsung tv. This is for my entire network.

The localhost request comes from a buggy Samsung TV. Create a DHCP static lease for that TV, and give it a valid hostname. That way it will get used by the TV when it obtains its DHCP lease.

The localhost request comes from a buggy Samsung TV. Create a DHCP static lease for that TV, and give it a valid hostname. That way it will get used by the TV when it obtains its DHCP lease.

So, I do have a samsung TV. I created a static IP for it. I also renamed all my devices in the network map to something other than their default names but I still get a the same localhost issue. This is happening on both bands as well as my ethernet ports.

So, I do have a samsung TV. I created a static IP for it. I also renamed all my devices in the network map to something other than their default names but I still get a the same localhost issue. This is happening on both bands as well as my ethernet ports.

Name it on the DHCP lease page, not on the networkmap. Networkmap is only a description for the router's webui only.

Hi RMerlin, tried your guided steps and I gave a valid hostname "SamsungSmartTV" and tied to a static lease, and all these were done on the DHCP lease page. The error message is still happening. Anything that I have missed?

Hi RMerlin, tried your guided steps and I gave a valid hostname "SamsungSmartTV" and tied to a static lease, and all these were done on the DHCP lease page. The error message is still happening. Anything that I have missed?

Post the exact syslog error message.

Post the exact syslog error message.

Feb 18 23:07:15 dnsmasq-dhcp[1056]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.11 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1
Feb 18 23:11:38 dnsmasq-dhcp[1056]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.11 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1
Feb 18 23:42:08 dnsmasq-dhcp[1056]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.11 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1

It's happening couple of times an hour. Appreciate your help!

@Dellboy
Are you using RMerlin's firmware? I also had this on my RT-AC87U, but after installing his firmware it was gone after add it under static lease.
Right now i use RT-AC88U and have the same "error message" as you have. But I don't use RMerlin yet on my new RT-AC88U

Feb 18 23:07:15 dnsmasq-dhcp[1056]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.11 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1
Feb 18 23:11:38 dnsmasq-dhcp[1056]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.11 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1
Feb 18 23:42:08 dnsmasq-dhcp[1056]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.11 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1

It's happening couple of times an hour. Appreciate your help!

Double check the MAC address, and that you properly entered the other information (try a different IP to confirm it).

Thanks CiscoX and RMerlin, let me reset everything and try again. Just to confirm, the chosen static IP must be outside of the DHCP lease range?

Also, this work-around cannot be done on the stock Asus firmware?

Thanks for all your help!

A DHCP static lease is Asus speak for IP Address Reservation. You can use an Ip Address within your DHCP pool (DHCP lease range).

Might consider asking for a wireshark trace to see what the requesting MAC address is...

Thanks CiscoX and RMerlin, let me reset everything and try again. Just to confirm, the chosen static IP must be outside of the DHCP lease range?

Also, this work-around cannot be done on the stock Asus firmware?

Thanks for all your help!

Hi, on stock firmware I do also have the same problem like you have. I have now installed RMerlin's firmware and the error message is gone after add the TV to the IP Reservation and gave it another name :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!