What's new

[Solved] Firmware Version 384.4_2 slows AC-87U router speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Everything is CAT5 hardwire
I would definitely re-flash and reset again. This is just plain weird. Bringing in the other router on different firmware really doesn't resolve anything.

Have you tried a different modem to router cable?

Alright, so I got this mostly solved. I reflashed and now when I am not using VPN I get full 130M speed for my pipe as I would expect. It was quite strange that with VPN completely disabled I could only get 15-20M. Almost seemed like VPN was still on without showing correct status, but DNS leak test would show my ISP IP, so I know it was disabled. With VPN on I still get about 20M which is a bit slower than I remember, but I will start another thread to get comments from other people on their VPN speed for this device.

OpenVPN leaks DNS when the client is Windows 10 in its base configuration on these routers.

You need to push the setting 'block-outside-dns'.

OpenVPN leaks DNS when the client is Windows 10 in its base configuration on these routers.

You need to push the setting 'block-outside-dns'.

I haven't seen any DNS leaks... So even though my windows 10 machines are all behind my router which is running the VPN, you think I need to add this to the router custom options? How is it possible for a machine to leak if it can only go through the router VPN tunnel?

I haven't seen any DNS leaks... So even though my windows 10 machines are all behind my router which is running the VPN, you think I need to add this to the router custom options? How is it possible for a machine to leak if it can only go through the router VPN tunnel?
Nah I thought you were suing VPN to get into your network. The setting is only needed if you are off LAN.

Oh, I understand now. I do use openVPN client to connect to my home network on Android and Win10. Thanks for that tip!

Just wanted to update here that I purchased a RT-86U and now I can easily get 120-130M VPN down speed on my 200M cable connection. When I peg my connection I see the CPU working really hard, vs on the RT-87U it would only pull 20M down and not even crack the CPU past 20%. I am guessing the 86U is taxing the CPU on the hardware encryption feature. Anyway, speed is great, and solution was to get a faster router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!