What's new

[Solved] Firmware Version 384.4_2 slows AC-87U router speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

madfusker

Regular Contributor
I just moved from 380 to 384 firmware on my AC-87U about a month ago and what I have noticed is it seems to really slow speeds down now. I normally use VPN client, but noticed I never get above 20 meg on a 120 meg connection. Not even when I pass through and don't use the VPN. And, not even when I disable VPN all together and just use as a router. If I plug my computer into the modem directly I get 130M down and 8M up as expected. Now I know the AC-87U isn't that slow, and I remember getting 100M+ straight through with 380, and with VPN 128bit I thought I remembered ~30M+ was achievable with the 87U CPU. So I am a bit puzzled what 384 firmware could be doing to it. I don't have any QOS going and a pretty basic configuration. Is there anything else I can try?

Last edited:
I just moved from 380 to 384 firmware on my AC-87U about a month ago and what I have noticed is it seems to really slow speeds down now. I normally use VPN client, but noticed I never get above 20 meg on a 120 meg connection. Not even when I pass through and don't use the VPN. And, not even when I disable VPN all together and just use as a router. If I plug my computer into the modem directly I get 130M down and 8M up as expected. Now I know the AC-87U isn't that slow, and I remember getting 100M+ straight through with 380, and with VPN 128bit I know a good 50M was achievable with the 87U CPU. So I am a bit puzzled what 384 firmware could be doing to it. I don't have any QOS going and a pretty basic configuration. Is there anything else I can try?
Do you remember if you reset to factory defaults after the last firmware flash update you did?

Yep. I did the upgrade on the major version, then factory defaults, then put everything in by hand from screenshots.

Yep. I did the upgrade on the major version, then factory defaults, then put everything in by hand from screenshots.
Do you have nat acceleration on auto?

When was the last time you cold booted the modem?

Yes. I don't think I've ever changed that setting before. Options are auto and no.

Power off rebooted just today after extended power outtage.
Ok and don't rate your routers speed by what it does on a vpn that can vary from vpn provider to provider. Do you pay for your vpn?

Yes I pay for VPN but that needs to come out of the equation since it's all disabled for now. I am using it as a straight through router right now and all it does is assign me an IP and route. No special routes or anything set up on the modem it is essentially factory default with a few static DHCP assigned

Try this setting in your ovpn custom settings. It may help speed a bit.
Code:
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"

Yes I pay for VPN but that needs to come out of the equation since it's all disabled for now. I am using it as a straight through router right now and all it does is assign me an IP and route. No special routes or anything set up on the modem it is essentially factory default with a few static DHCP assigned
Are you testing over cable or wifi?

What speed test site are you using?

I have another 87 U that I could do tests with older firmware but I was hoping for something simple I missed.

Is the device you are using to measure speed connected to your router by ethernet or wifi?

I'm starting to think you need to unplug all usb devices and re-flash then reset to factory and try your minimal configuration again.

I think I'll fire up that other router on 380 firmware and see what I get. Now I'm really curious about it.

How is your computer connected to the router?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!