What's new

[Solved] Transmission port 50143 closed, download speed is slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Salles

Regular Contributor
First the specifiation:
  • Router is Asus RT-AC86U with firmware 384.15 Merlin.
  • Hardrive is connected to the router via USB and is used as a NAS.
  • I am running Transmission through Debian, according to this setup.
  • Transmission is routed through VPN on the local IP-adress 192.168.50.10 through this setup and has been working correct for the last year. The box in Transmission settings "Use port forwarding from my router" has always been checked.
  • The VPN service is Torguard VPN.
  • Transmission and VPN was all setup about a year ago when running firmware 384.13. After that I have upgraded to 384.15 without performing a factory reset. The router has been running smooth for around a month with 384.15 without any issues and download speeds have been good within that period.
  • Installed scripts: Entware, AMTM, Diversion, Unbound, Skynet, uiDivStats, Debian, and Transmission through Debian. Latest install was Unbound via Martineau install script for about two weeks ago. All are working fine.

Now the issue:
Download speeds through Transmission have for the last two days been really slow, just a few kB/s (tried from three different trackers) :(. When checking the settings in Transmission it says that the status of the port 50143 is Closed.
Download speeds have never been an issue before, however, I do recall before that Transmission setting has said that the status of the port has sometimes been unknown or closed. But I have not experienced during the last year that this has affected download speeds, Until Now! Before, speeds have been up to 16 MB/s.
Since my setup of Transmission is running through Debian, I have not been able to find the Transmission log regarding any info of why the port is closed and I have not found any thread that tells me where the log is located.

I have tried the following to open port 50143, which has not helped.
  • Enabling UPnP in WebUI.
  • I setup port forwarding on Torguards website for port 50143, however this has never been needed before and does not seem to help me.
  • I tried port forwarding in WebUI, but as I understand that is only for WAN and not for VPN, so that will not help me either.
  • canyouseeme.org shows "Error: I could not see your service on port 51413.

I would really like some help with how to diagnose this and open the port. I hope someone has an advice.

[EDIT] Issue has been solved. Need to update Transmission Daemon. Port is still closed, but speeds are back to normal.

Last edited:
I have noticed that my download speed using Netgear R9000 and transmission is noticeably slower then using the computer to download. I just wonder if it is something you can do in the setups to make it faster or is it just to accept that the hardware cant handle faster speeds?

It might be that alt-speed-enabled": has been set to true. It should be set to false.
You have an optimized Transmission config-file for Asus Routers here which you can use. Change user name and password and IP-address afterwards if you use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KW.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!