What's new

Unbound SOLVED: unbound not running

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

_me_myself_and_i_

Occasional Visitor
Edit: I replaced the flash drive and all seems well. marking as solved

Hi, all.

RT-AX86U 386.3_2

I setup unbound, yesterday, using unbound_manager 3.22. Everything went fine. This morning when I woke up, it wasn't running.

Found this is syslog:

Code:
Oct  9 06:58:49 kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_find_entry:1461: inode #3934185: comm unbound: reading directory lblock 0
Oct  9 07:00:00 (unbound_rpz.sh): 9620 Attempting to Download 1 of 1 from https://urlhaus.abuse.ch/downloads/rpz/.
Oct  9 07:00:00 (gen_ytadblock.sh): 9619 Warning unbound NOT running!

Does this look like a failing flash drive, or something else?

Attachments

• Screenshot 235.png
    Screenshot 235.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot 236.png
    Screenshot 236.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I would start with the first error reported -

kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_find_entry:1461: inode #3934185: comm unbound: reading directory lblock 0

If your filesystem is corrupt, everything after that is up in the air.
I would attempt to run amtm and install disk check. Given you already have a filesystem problem, it might not install. If it does, enable the check, exit amtm and reboot the router.

I would start with the first error reported -

kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_find_entry:1461: inode #3934185: comm unbound: reading directory lblock 0

If your filesystem is corrupt, everything after that is up in the air.
I would attempt to run amtm and install disk check. Given you already have a filesystem problem, it might not install. If it does, enable the check, exit amtm and reboot the router.
Yeah, I just decided to replace it rather than risk losing the data. USB flash drives are cheap... picked one up at Target, booted Linux VM on my Mac, formatted and gave the same label as existing, scp'd the content, ejected old, stuck in new & re-created swap, rebooted. Voila! It's all working fine, and unbound started up on its own upon reboot.

While you saved some setup time, know that you also got lucky this time too. If the data was corrupted, you would have carried over the issues to the new drive too.

Yes indeed. cru and rsync are your friends ;-)
Out of curiosity, what's your setup / process flow on this? A back up solution is intriguing as I've never considered doing it to the router's flash drive. Now that I think of it, it's a huge gap in my setup to not have this done regularly!

Yeah, this was a wake up call. I’m going to implement a scheduled backup routine.
Thanks for bringing this up. This is indeed a good wake up call. I have manually backup a copy months ago using winscp to my local pc. Usually when I make changes I just backup in the usb drive itself. Upon reading this, I found out my old dlink share center support rsync backup. I follow this thread and manage to transfer one directory over to my dlink nas.

Out of curiosity, what's your setup / process flow on this? A back up solution is intriguing as I've never considered doing it to the router's flash drive. Now that I think of it, it's a huge gap in my setup to not have this done regularly!
I just finished my solution. It’s just a cron job that rsyncs to my Linode over ssh (using public key authentication). Quick and easy.

I hope these backup solutions being implemented are rolling and many? If the backup is simply overwriting the previous backup, you may be overwriting a fully functional backup with a fully or partially corrupted version.

Here is my script, which I save on the usb itself (I thought of keeping in /jffs/scripts, but why not backup the script itself at the same time?):

Bash:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

export HOME="/mnt/usb/dfelicia"

# This script is called by cron (cru)
rsync_target_dir="~/router-backup/usb"
ssh_host="example.com"
ssh_port="1234"
ssh_user="dfelicia"
ssh_id="${HOME}/.ssh/id_rsa"
ssh_static_dir="${HOME}/.ssh"
ssh_working_dir="/tmp/home/root/.ssh"

# dropbear's ssh doesn't accept -y
grep -qs 'example.com' /tmp/home/root/.ssh/known_hosts || \
    cp ${ssh_static_dir}/known_hosts ${ssh_working_dir}/known_hosts

# Sync USB to Linode for safe keeping
/opt/bin/rsync -az --exclude 'myswap.swp' \
    -e "/usr/bin/ssh -p ${ssh_port} -i ${ssh_id}" \
    /mnt/usb/ ${ssh_user}@${ssh_host}:${rsync_target_dir} || exit 1

exit 0

This assumes that you want to rsync over ssh, and that your target server is configured for public key authentication.

You have to install rsync from entware (opkg install rsync).

Code:
cru l
0 6 * * * /mnt/usb/dfelicia/bin/backup-usb.sh #backup_usb#

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!