What's new

Someone switched the sticker on this RT-AC68U from Amazon. What version is it really?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sintek

New Around Here
Bought an AC68U from Amazon Warehouse. Was excited when I saw the box said B2 and 1.4GHz, but the edge of the sticker on the back of the router was peeling which made me suspicious. That suspicion led me to discover that the actual mac address and WPS pin don't match those on the box or sticker.

I see both A1 and B1 in addition to rev 1.80 - which is it? Just curious what some scumbag switched out and sent back.

edit: the full string under the antenna wire is 08B1 - 1ZB6000

BD2DD179-D624-455A-9610-34AED28226C4.jpeg

Can't see enough detail in the image. Can you upload a high resolution image somewhere?

You can check the CPU speed (assuming they haven't hacked the CFE) with cat /proc/cpuinfo

At the top there is a piece of tape that's reflection is obscuring the hardware revision number.

It should say RT-AC68U REV 1.?? I'm guessing it's rev 1.8, the original 800MHz model.

At the top there is a piece of tape that's reflection is obscuring the hardware revision number.

It should say RT-AC68U REV 1.?? I'm guessing it's rev 1.8, the original 800MHz model.

Yep, 1.80. Thanks. Warehouse be a treacherous mistress.

Yep, 1.80. Thanks. Warehouse be a treacherous mistress.
Sorry, just realised you said it was 1.80 in your OP.

Oh well, send it back as "not as advertised". Although I guess you've caused some noticeable damage to the case by opening it up.

Last edited:
I have to correct my earlier statement. 1.80 wasn't the original version, there were actually versions 1.20, 1.21 and 1.60. It looks like the 1.80 version was first produced in 2014.

My "H/W Ver: A2" 800 MHz model was manufactured in 2015. I don't know what it says on the PCB as I haven't opened it up.

As I said, check the CPU speed when it's running. It's unlikely, even with a hacked CFE, that an old 800 MHz model would be stable at 1.4 GHz (it wasn't for me).

Last edited:
Just as an aside, this is a great example of why OEMs should NOT be reusing model numbers over many years for what is effectively a different router. Or else you incentivize this kind of fraud. It should be made visually obvious exactly what the user has, even it requires a small molding change in the plastic housing. Something beyond just a change in the sticker.

Just as an aside, this is a great example of why OEMs should NOT be reusing model numbers over many years for what is effectively a different router. ...
It is good old practice for cars, airplanes and routers.
As of router the Linksys WRT54G is a nice example with 17 different hardware version sold under one name, followed by the WRT54GL which was again the same thing, but back to Linux opposed to the last G's with VxWorks.
For cars the Volkswagen Beetle, the 1303 is quite a different car with the shape of a classic 1200 from the 1950's.

Although I guess you've caused some noticeable damage to the case by opening it up.
Actually, the front came off quite easily. No signs of damage from where the previous person removed it to switch the internals.

I've since bought an RT-AC86U, but I'll keep the AC68U since I like having at least one backup router on hand. It's not like an extra 200 or 400MHz from the CPU would have made any noticeable difference anyway, plus it was only $21 from Amazon Warehouse which I consider a damn good bargain.

Thanks for the responses.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!