What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Now that 386 betas are public, here's a new feature of the stock firmware:

upload_2020-7-16_1-0-59.png

Now that 386 betas are public, here's a new feature of the stock firmware:

View attachment 24714
Doesn't look like it supports a scheduled option, or plots the data on a graph.

Interesting though, i wonder if they got the idea from my projects.

I wonder if they have a way of getting a better speed out of it. The current ookla binary can't match my 550mbps line, maxes around 350ish on my AC86U. If not they'll have fun with user feedback and questions on that....

Last edited:
same situation for packet loss% ?

when i run spdMerlin manually the ookla report is giving me UL/DL speeds, amount of data, but also packet loss %
can't say for sure packet loss is always there for any server, but every time the random server is used in my manual spdmerlin run, loss% is there
maybe this could be included in the webgui table (not the graph)
I'll take a look if more servers now support the ping tests

same situation for packet loss% ?

when i run spdMerlin manually the ookla report is giving me UL/DL speeds, amount of data, but also packet loss %
can't say for sure packet loss is always there for any server, but every time the random server is used in my manual spdmerlin run, loss% is there
maybe this could be included in the webgui table (not the graph)
upload_2020-7-16_9-52-36.png

so does latency exist for all, and packet loss is per-server? if so, may be easier than i thought. makes me wonder what i do about connmon though!

makes me wonder what i do about connmon though!
i think connmon would still be useful as a constant (every 5sec?) ping check for line quality.
but connection quality is also important, while conducting spdMerlin runs, and have it displayed with the speed results (to see line quality while saturated).

Last edited:
i think connmon would still be useful as a constant (every 5sec?) ping check for line quality.
but connection quality is also important, while conducting spdMerlin runs, and have it displayed with the speed results (to see line quality while saturated).
spdmerlin will have it in v4, along with charts (probably a separate chart below the bandwidths to not crowd the display), along with full configuration of the script (servers, schedule) available from the WebUI.

Doesn't look like it supports a scheduled option, or plots the data on a graph.

Right, so this won't be a replacement anytime soon. But it does mean that you will have access to the ookla binary included in the firmware.

@RMerlin do you have a GPL for the beta?

Not yet, no. They usually don't publish beta GPLs, but they will be providing me with it so I can start work on merging 386 in.

Beta firmware images have been posted in the Official Asuswrt forums here, look for the sticky post.

looks excellent!!!
packet loss could be red, on the graph

Last edited:
Hey Jack.
Currently on develop.

My vpn5 isn't up and I think that's that causing those errors.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200718-104411567.png
    Screenshot_20200718-104411567.png
    158.6 KB · Views: 104
develop isn't meant to be stable, you run it at your own risk ;-)
I know :)
But the same happens on stable...

I thin the problem is the way I configured spdMerlin:
- installed spdMerlin
- choosed wan, vpn3 and vpn5.
- turned off vpn5
- run the first ever test (and vpn5 was skipped because it's off)
- as I never run a test on vpn5, the tables aren't created. So the errors...
- as soon as a run a test on vpn5, this error disappeares, because the tables are created.

I think it's related with the design. The tables must be created in another way (maybe when choosing which interfaces to test?) and not only when we run a test.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200718-110326539.png
    Screenshot_20200718-110326539.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 112
I know :)
But the same happens on stable...

I thin the problem is the way I configured spdMerlin:
- installed spdMerlin
- choosed wan, vpn3 and vpn5.
- turned off vpn5
- run the first ever test (and vpn5 was skipped because it's off)
- as I never run a test on vpn5, the tables aren't created. So the errors...
- as soon as a run a test on vpn5, this error disappeares, because the tables are created.

I think it's related with the design. The tables must be created in another way (maybe when choosing which interfaces to test?) and not only when we run a test.
interesting. fixed in develop now. good find

As Jack is active here, may I ask you if you‘re interested in debugging why I can‘t measure over ~350 mbit/s in download on my asus ac88u?
My line is 1GBit/s down.

If I use a wired or wifi device I get ~800mbit/s where I would be fine with, but the measuring on the wrt it‘s „slow“.
Any Idea? Maybe there are physical limits?

Greets.

@Snoopotic, the CPU on the router isn't powerful enough. :)

Even the RT-AX88U with 4x 1.8GHz cores can't show me my symmetrical 1Gbps Fibre speeds, but an i7 desktop (wired) can.