What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Upgrade Merlin to 384.17 recently too. What would need to reinstall to get spd tab back?

RT-AC86U w/ 384.17, RT-AC68U Aimesh node w/ same, Diversion, UiDivstats, Skynet, AiProtection, Scribe, UiScribe, Conmon, SpdMerlin, ScMerlin, Nsrum, NtpMerlin

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post, but this morning my "connection" tab (sorry, can't remember the name now) didn't survive a reboot, although spdmerlin, etc, is OK and everything else seems smooth. I am current on all scripts according to amtm. Maybe conmon, scribe, or ?

BTW, I personally like the new buttons to check and update the scripts. KUDOS to Jack and everyone involved, and I would like to offer a heart felt "Thank Ya'll!", and really appreciate your work, dedication, and attitudes. And your help.

usertabs_2020-05-02 063551.png

EDIT: After second reboot, all is well! Life is good.

Last edited:
Hi. I like that.
I have 1gbit cable but it seems my usb-hdd is the bottleneck. Although I chose the best test-server where I get very good results using cable/wifi with my pc... this test suite does not overcome 340mbit/s... looks like the hdd has no faster write IO. may I am right?

I have 1gbit cable but it seems my usb-hdd is the bottleneck.
Definitely. USB HDD can not write at the speeds content is delivered to it via 1gbit link.

would it be possible for the scheduling option of spdmerlin to offer an hourly option?
i modified the crontab directly , but the spd updates overwrite my schedule..

Last edited:
Would it be possible to store data longer than the current 30 days and maybe outsource it to an external database after a specific time?

Would spdmerlin work when the router is in AP mode?

Edit: can confirm that it does indeed work in AP mode now. I also tried a few months ago, and couldn't get it to work, but now it does.

Last edited:
I see this on Web GUI:
Version information v3.5.2 Updated version available: v3.5.1
Also test discrepancies:
Time Download (Mbps) Upload (Mbps)
2020-05-11 13:12:23 157.61 187.43

I have 200/200Mbps connection, speedtest launched from any machine in the LAN on the SAME Speedtest server (hosted by my very own ISP) shows figures slightly above 200 (ISP overbooks about 10%) but in web gui figures are constantly way below 200/200 and i configured the same Speedtest server i use when testing from PCs - again, which is Speedtest server used by my ISP.

Last edited:
I see this on Web GUI:
Version information v3.5.2 Updated version available: v3.5.1
Also test discrepancies:
Time Download (Mbps) Upload (Mbps)
2020-05-11 13:12:23 157.61 187.43

I have 200/200Mbps connection, speedtest launched from any machine in the LAN on the SAME Speedtest server (hosted by my very own ISP) shows figures slightly above 200 (ISP overbooks about 10%) but in web gui figures are constantly way below 200/200 and i configured the same Speedtest server i use when testing from PCs
Run the update via WebUI, it should resolve the version number issue

Thanks! Update is fixed.
What about speedtest data? Not a big deal for me, just being curious, why router-executed speed tests against the same test server are constantly 20-25% (download) and 10-15% (upload) below tests executed from the PCs on the LAN against the same test server as router-launched ones. RT68 does not have enough CPU horsepower?

Thanks! Update is fixed.
What about speedtest data? Not a big deal for me, just being curious, why router-executed speed tests against the same test server are constantly 20-25% (download) and 10-15% (upload) below tests executed from the PCs on the LAN against the same test server as router-launched ones. RT68 does not have enough CPU horsepower?
I'm pleased to hear update issue is resolved!

Re. speeds, from post #1
spdMerlin uses SpeedTest CLI
If the speeds from this utility are significantly lower than those you see from the desktop app/browser test, the limiting factor will be your router's CPU. That being said, there is probably room for improvement/optimisation by the Ookla team in the CLI binary itself. Please direct feedback about speed issues to Ookla via the above link. There is nothing that I can do about them.

Hi,

Quick Q - is spdmerlin for ARM based routers only?

The reason I ask is that I've tried to install onto a MIPS based RT-N66U and got the following:-

You must accept the license agreements for Speedtest CLI. Do you want to continue? (y/n)
Note: This will require an initial speedtest to run, please be patient
cp: can't stat '/tmp/home/root/.config/ookla/speedtest-cli.json': No such file or directory
spdMerlin: Licenses accepted and saved to persistent storage

After a bit of digging I worked out that the Ookla speedtest check was crashing:-

admin@Lexy:/jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/ookla# ./speedtest
./speedtest: line 1: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting ")")

Copying the speedtest binary onto another box gave me:-

lucy /mnt/lexy # file speedtest
speedtest: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped

Suspect this isn't going to work unless there's a MIPS based check from Ookla?

Sorry for the NOOB question, but.... I have Diversion and uiDivStats running but when I went to install this it said I did not have a swap file. Should have created a swap file before I installed Diversion and UiDivStats? Do I have to uninstall everything and start again by creating a swap file first?
Thanks

No, just drop to amtm and use the sw command to create a swap file that is a minimum of 1GB. Although I would use 2GB for a USB drive 4GB or bigger. :)

v3.5.2
Updated 2020-04-29

Run automated speedtests for your Internet on your router with graphs available on the Addons page of the WebUI.

This script began as a user-friendly installer for a personal project developed by @JGrana

spdMerlin is free to use under the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPL 3.0).

spdMerlin uses SpeedTest CLI
If the speeds from this utility are significantly lower than those you see from the desktop app/browser test, the limiting factor will be your router's CPU. That being said, there is probably room for improvement/optimisation by the Ookla team in the CLI binary itself. Please direct feedback about speed issues to Ookla via the above link. There is nothing that I can do about them.

spdMerlin includes the required licenses, which must be accepted on first run of Speedtest CLI.

A swap file is required to ensure smooth operation of the script.

The speedtest is scheduled to run at 12 past and 42 past the hour, every hour, by default

This project is hosted on GitHub

Love the script and want to support future development? Any and all donations gratefully received!
PayPal donation
Buy me a coffee

Supported firmware versions
You must be running firmware Merlin 384.15/384.13_4 or Fork 43E5 (or later) Asuswrt-Merlin

Installation
Using your preferred SSH client/terminal, copy and paste the following command, then press Enter:
Code:
/usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jackyaz/spdMerlin/master/spdmerlin.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin" && chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin && /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin install

Usage
To launch the spdMerlin menu after installation, use:
Code:
spdmerlin

If this does not work, you will need to use the full path:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin
Updating
Launch spdmerlin and select option u
@Jack Yaz
Feature Request:
- Can there be a setting to disable auto-scaling the graphs?
- Can a setting be provided to input the 4 values? Min and max values for upload and download graphs?

The current graphs are great, but even a relatively small dip/spike visually appears to be a large change (unless one looks at the vertical axis values)

I think the same graph with axis values of 0 min and 60 max will give a better visual feel.

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 3.33.23 pm.png

The brain is trained to estimate values from 0 to 100%.

- Currently, the 30Mbps drop on May 15 visually looks like everything was totally out; while in reality, the speed was ½ of what it should be.
- If the graph was 0 - 60; the 30Mbps dip would appear as 50% and look more visually accurate.

The zoom feature is available available to dig deeper.

Just my 2c !

@Jack Yaz
Feature Request:
- Can there be a setting to disable auto-scaling the graphs?
- Can a setting be provided to input the 4 values? Min and max values for upload and download graphs?

The current graphs are great, but even a relatively small dip/spike visually appears to be a large change (unless one looks at the vertical axis values)

I think the same graph with axis values of 0 min and 60 max will give a better visual feel.

View attachment 23489

The brain is trained to estimate values from 0 to 100%.

- Currently, the 30Mbps drop on May 15 visually looks like everything was totally out; while in reality, the speed was ½ of what it should be.
- If the graph was 0 - 60; the 30Mbps dip would appear as 50% and look more visually accurate.

The zoom feature is available available to dig deeper.

Just my 2c !
I'll consider it. If my 350mbps dropped to 175mbps, i would count that as severe degradation in service :D