What's new

Specific range of network devices in Client VPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I know how to assign my entire LAN to use Surfshark VPN on my RT-AX88U using 10.0.4.0/24, but is it possible to only assign part of the range, for instance 10.0.4.100-10.0.4.119?

So in the example I gave and using the link you kindly provided, would I therefore simply add the three lines specified to the Policy Rules and set each to use the VPN?

Attachments

• Screenshot - 30_05_2021 , 19_05_46.png
    Screenshot - 30_05_2021 , 19_05_46.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 101
It does appear to work how I wanted it to. I have now set up the DHPC auto range (100-199) to use my 1st Surfshark VPN client, plus a few network devices with fixed IPs. The two Fire TV Sticks I have use the 2nd Surfshark VPN client which I have set up with stricter controls. My son's Apple devices are on the auto DHCP range, as they frequently change their MAC address and I can't be bothered to keep setting them up again with a fixed IP, so that they can use the VPN. This way, they'll be able to use it without my intervention.

I spoke too soon it seems. This morning, while doing some further testing, I had lots of problems with devices connecting to the wrong VPN or no VPN at all, so I don't think this is worth all the hassle and I'll probably just put the Surfshark app on my two Fire TV's and leave it at that.

I spoke too soon it seems. This morning, while doing some further testing, I had lots of problems with devices connecting to the wrong VPN or no VPN at all, so I don't think this is worth all the hassle and I'll probably just put the Surfshark app on my two Fire TV's and leave it at that.

You have to be very careful when using multiple, concurrent OpenVPN clients. There's a very good chance that some, if not all, the OpenVPN clients are using the *same* IP network on the tunnel (e.g., 10.8.0.0/24)!! But each tunnel must be unique in this respect, or you'll create routing ambiguities.

IOW, even though the VPN provider typically allows multiple connections, they are assuming you will never create a situation where the VPN client is active multiple times on the *same* device. So having, for example, the Chicago and NY servers using the same IP network on their respective tunnels usually isn't a concern. But YOU are creating that very problem by having the router (one device) create a VPN client to each server.

That's why using multiple, concurrent OpenVPN clients is tricky. You may have to expend some effort to find servers which do NOT conflict. Or perhaps use UDP w/ one server, and TCP w/ the other (VPN providers often use different IP networks w/ the different protocols). Worst case, it may requite using multiple VPN providers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!