What's new

Spectrum/Charter email problem.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChuckTin

Occasional Visitor
Spectrum is doing ... something. I'm up at 5:00 AM and it seems like every morning the internet is down, its been this way for several weeks now.
And (this is very odd) I've got 4 email messages in my out box and when I do a manual "Send All" I get an error message.
I still receive spam messages tho [emoji2955].
When I complained (yesterday) Spectrum Tech Support said they're aware of the problem and are working on it but no estimate on when they'll have a fix.
If it makes a difference I use Outlook for email and we have our own router, a LinkSys AC4000.

Try connecting your computer directly to the modem and see what happens. A Router is not going to stop you from sending email. All ISP’s do maintenance from midnight until around 6 am. As for your connection being down, that can also be caused by out of limits signal quality. https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16085

This morning (Monday 5 AM) Internet was available.
Seems likely I'm seeing two (unrelated?) things.
The internet up and down could easily be a bad signal coming into the house - we have had the cable replaced once (first) for age and a second time for squirrels damage.

But the email problem - not sending - what does that mean? Since I'm getting an error message is there a translator for for jargon into plain English?

Email not being sent is due to the connection being lost and your computer has not been able to connect with the smtp server that your provider uses. Check your signals on your modem/gateway per the link I provided for what they need to be.

I did as you suggested and captured the settings to a text file.
Question: are these the actual settings on my, desktop, end, the settings that Spectrum's (Roadrunner) is see to, or suggestions for the ideal email, incoming server and outgoing server, configuration that I _should_ be using?

I'm trying a fix that consists of switching from Outlook to an alternative email client. And I talked (again) with Spectrum Tech support.
My question was: what should I have listed as the incoming and outgoing server settings. (She) didn't have an answer! The only published settings are for Apples OS. (Say what?)
The technician finally suggested I set both to "mail dot TWC dot com". That _appears_ to be working so far. It, the client, is listing my main Roadrunner address as an "internal" (?) source. That makes me unsure of what's actually happening.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!