What's new

Speed test not working while connected to VPN on 386.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sleeps1007

Regular Contributor
I was trying to run the speed test implemented in merlin and it fails while connected to VPN. Is there a known issue or is there a setting to allow the test to run with VPN?

What router? What specific firmware? What VPN?

Any other details you can provide about how your router is configured and used will be helpful.

What router? What specific firmware? What VPN?

Any other details you can provide about how your router is configured and used will be helpful.
Sorry about that. It's the RT-AC5300 and has 386.1 installed and I use airvpn which is configured in openvpn on the router.

I reported the same problem.. I have firm 386.1 on RT-AX88U and using protonvpn.. I believe there may be a bug here.

I wonder if it only works with certain VPN services like NordVPN and ExpressVPN. I know ProtonVPN is known but not as much as Express and Nord.

So why is this happening only when connected to VPN.

1613272018710.png

This is interesting I changed my DNS to a different DNS server and now the speedtest works.
What dns did you change to? Do you have "dns over tls" enabled?
The speedtest worked a few times for me when I first installed 386.1 and did a factory reset but not since then.
I am not connected to a vpn but I disconnected my ovpn server to see if it helped and no luck.

Screenshot_2021-02-13 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U - Internet Speed.png

What dns did you change to? Do you have "dns over tls" enabled?
The speedtest worked a few times for me when I first installed 386.1 and did a factory reset but not since then.
I am not connected to a vpn but I disconnected my ovpn server to see if it helped and no luck.

View attachment 30728
I connected to Google DNS and OpenDNS. Tested with both and had no issues plus I was able to get increased speeds since they are faster than my ISP DNS. I found this tool called namebench which finds the fastest DNS servers try that.

Ditto..I changed my DNS and now the speedtest works fine... tks It does look as if it is the ISP DNS servers... mabeye they don't like VPN access?