What's new

Speeding up AiMesh wireless with wireless-6 routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RogerSC

Part of the Furniture
I had hopes that using an RT-AX88U (router on one side of my house) and RT-AX86U (node in the middle of the house) together in an AiMesh configuration would allow connection between the mesh nodes via wireless-6. That should, in theory, allow faster wireless at the AiMesh node. Faster for either wireless-5 or wireless-6 client, since the net speed of the mesh would be faster than a wireless-5 connection. And I am seeing the attached screenshot of the AiMesh node in my wireless log, which indicates that the AiMesh node is connecting to the router using wireless-6. That looks like a bunch of bandwidth *smile*, but yet I'm not seeing even 300Mbps wi-fi from a client of the AiMesh node that screen shot shows on a gigabit internet connection. I had been hoping for more like 350 - 400Mbps on my iPad Pro 10.5" using wireless-5, but not happening, more like 260-270Mbps. Which is only a little more than I was getting using just the RT-AX88U in my living room, all the way across the house.

I was wondering if there's anything I can do to see more of the wireless-6 speed advantage to the node using AiMesh? Other than getting a newer iPad that has wireless-6 *smile*. I'd really like to connect the RT-AX86U as an AP, but can't run cables in my house.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 1.49.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 1.49.48 AM.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 125
I had hopes that using an RT-AX88U (router on one side of my house) and RT-AX86U (node in the middle of the house) together in an AiMesh configuration would allow connection between the mesh nodes via wireless-6. That should, in theory, allow faster wireless at the AiMesh node. Faster for either wireless-5 or wireless-6 client, since the net speed of the mesh would be faster than a wireless-5 connection. And I am seeing the attached screenshot of the AiMesh node in my wireless log, which indicates that the AiMesh node is connecting to the router using wireless-6. That looks like a bunch of bandwidth *smile*, but yet I'm not seeing even 300Mbps wi-fi from a client of the AiMesh node that screen shot shows on a gigabit internet connection. I had been hoping for more like 350 - 400Mbps on my iPad Pro 10.5" using wireless-5, but not happening, more like 260-270Mbps. Which is only a little more than I was getting using just the RT-AX88U in my living room, all the way across the house.

I was wondering if there's anything I can do to see more of the wireless-6 speed advantage to the node using AiMesh? Other than getting a newer iPad that has wireless-6 *smile*. I'd really like to connect the RT-AX86U as an AP, but can't run cables in my house.

What link rate does the Pad report for its wireless connection to the node?

OE

802.11 AX or WIFI 6 does not mean you will necessarily get the full speed that is advertised. Using a mesh system on WIFI your throughput may be up to half of the advertised speed as the mesh node will spend half of the time communicating with the "base station" and the other half communicating with the client. What you will get is improved reliability of connection and better multi client usage. Yes, wired backhaul is best to get better throughput. But the speeds you are getting should be wonderful for most tasks.
And in my neck of the woods most internet users would jump for joy if they could get those speeds! Try doing work from home with 10 MB down and 1 MB up. I am sure your bandwidth to your ISP is better than that. Be happy with what you have. Your Asus routers are doing the best they can.

AiMesh (wireless) is effectively Repeater mode which is an effective way to kill max speeds (less than half as also @bbunge states above).

If you can wire them, you'll see much closer to the speeds you expect. Worth doing, btw.

That was pretty fast and likely because of the iPad itself. Generally, mobile devices use a 2x2 Wi-Fi 5 adapter with driver optimized for battery life.

Oops, sorry, I really do get it that you need 3 radios in router and node to get the faster speed, just hadn't thought about it enough. That's how the Zen WiFi AX (and others) work, of course.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!