What's new

Spin down question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wackid

Occasional Visitor
I have two usb drives mounted.

One for files and one for recording my ipcamera.

Is it normal that my file drive is not spinning down? Because of activity on the ipcamera drive.

Or is it because my ipcamera drive is on port one.?

I have two usb drives mounted.

One for files and one for recording my ipcamera.

Is it normal that my file drive is not spinning down? Because of activity on the ipcamera drive.

Or is it because my ipcamera drive is on port one.?
Most likely because of something is writing to the drive before the spin down kicks in.

Try if the behavior changes by setting "Memory Management: Regularly flush caches (default: Yes)" to "NO" under Tools > Other Settings > Advanced Tweaks and Hacks.

When your files drive is not used very regularly, I would spin it down (eject) manually (that is what I do with my attached files drive). This would prevent your files drive from spinning up/down to many times uncontrollably and wearing the dive's mechanism out.

Last edited:
Most likely because of something is writing to the drive before the spin down kicks in.

Try if the behavior changes by setting "Memory Management: Regularly flush caches (default: Yes)" to "NO" under Tools > Other Settings > Advanced Tweaks and Hacks.

When your files drive is not used very regularly, I would spin it down (eject) manually (that is what I do with my attached files drive). This would prevent your files drive from spinning up/down to many times uncontrollably and wearing the dive's mechanism out.
Hi thanks for answering.

No nothing is writing to the files drive.

And I don't have that option flush cache.
It's an RT-AC66U

Do a search on the forums - there's a couple of other threads on similar topics - on some drives, the spin-down is governed by firmware on the USB to SATA (or IDE) controller board firmware...

Do a search on the forums - there's a couple of other threads on similar topics - on some drives, the spin-down is governed by firmware on the USB to SATA (or IDE) controller board firmware...
That's not the issue. The file disk was spinning down.
But now with my ipcamera disk it's not.

I assume both usb slots work independently for spinning down?