What's new

Strange issue in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nov

New Around Here
Hello,

Hoping someone who understands this more than me can help explain this strange issue ...

I have been experiencing really bad packet loss when my connection is utilised and as a result, my ISP have replaced the cable to the property. I initially thought it was the XT8 that was causing the issue but could never prove it. In order to rule it out, I changed it to AP mode only and left my Superhub in "Router" mode to appease Virgin Media who where adamant that the issue was due to me using the Superhub in Modem mode.

I have a SuperHub 5 supplied by Virgin and it is set to 192.168.0.1. I have two XT8's, one is connect directly to the Superhub and is assigned 192.168.0.200. The second is connected via ethernet in another room and is assigned 192.168.0.201.

The issue I have is, if I run a continuous ping on 192.168.0.1 (The Superhub) I have large amount of packet loss (around 20%). The second I disconnect the XT8 (192.168.0.200), I no longer get any packet loss whatsoever .. connect it again .. and boom, packet loss..

I have two machines that are directly connected to the superhub via eth and they are both showing the same issue. I have also tried connecting one of the machines directly to the XT8 and the issue persists.

I really have no idea what is causing this..

I have raised a call with ASUS but as I was sent a guide to "get better wifi" I don't hold out much hope on that front.

Appreciate any help,

Thanks, Nov.

What do you mean exactly by "run a continuous ping on 192.168.0.1"? What machine is pinging what?

My first guess about the issue is that you've managed to set up a packet forwarding loop, such that there's more than one path from the ping source to the ping destination and one of those paths allows a packet to recirculate without ever reaching the destination. It's not very hard to do that by accident (I've done it :( ) and then it's just chance whether packets get to the destination or not. In this case I'd bet that the loop includes forwarding a packet wirelessly from one XT8 to the other.

How are the XT8s configured? Personally I'd set them both in plain AP mode, since your ISP device is already a router.

Hello,

Hoping someone who understands this more than me can help explain this strange issue ...

I have been experiencing really bad packet loss when my connection is utilised and as a result, my ISP have replaced the cable to the property. I initially thought it was the XT8 that was causing the issue but could never prove it. In order to rule it out, I changed it to AP mode only and left my Superhub in "Router" mode to appease Virgin Media who where adamant that the issue was due to me using the Superhub in Modem mode.

I have a SuperHub 5 supplied by Virgin and it is set to 192.168.0.1. I have two XT8's, one is connect directly to the Superhub and is assigned 192.168.0.200. The second is connected via ethernet in another room and is assigned 192.168.0.201.

The issue I have is, if I run a continuous ping on 192.168.0.1 (The Superhub) I have large amount of packet loss (around 20%). The second I disconnect the XT8 (192.168.0.200), I no longer get any packet loss whatsoever .. connect it again .. and boom, packet loss..

I have two machines that are directly connected to the superhub via eth and they are both showing the same issue. I have also tried connecting one of the machines directly to the XT8 and the issue persists.

I really have no idea what is causing this..

I have raised a call with ASUS but as I was sent a guide to "get better wifi" I don't hold out much hope on that front.

Appreciate any help,

Thanks, Nov.

If you have wireless enabled on both the ISP device and the Asus and they are nearby they are probably interfering with each other. Disable wireless in the ISP device or at the very least make sure they are on clear, non overlapping channels and see what happens. 3 wifi devices in close proximity (especially when the two XT8s are using the same channel) is probably causing problems.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!