What's new

Strange issue with RT-AC5300 on 2.4GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kahnundrum

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I want to preface that I've come to this forum for troubleshooting in the past and I've usually found the answers I was looking for with a simple search. However, I'm having a strange issue that I can't chase down so I wanted to create an account an ask some of you folks. So I have an AC5300 for about 5 months. It had been working great. last week I attempted to setup an AIMesh node using an AC1900 I just purchased as the 5Ghz was spotty on the other side of the house (ethernet backhaul). During the process, I took the opportunity to update the firmware on both devices to the latest (I don't recall what the previous versions were beforehand). It seemed to work well, at first. But then I noticed that the devices that connect using 2.4GHz were either extremely slow, or couldn't get to the internet at all, either through the node or the 5300 (I was using speedtest on a couple devices, laptops and phones). All wired connections were normal, as was anything connected to 5GHz wifi.

I tried to do the following things (some of which I found suggested here, some I got from asus support):
1. Broke the mesh
2. Adjusting the bandwidth/channels on 2.4 (currently on channel 11, there isn't any other conflicting wifi networks using that near me)
3. Turning off beamforming
4. factory reset 2x
5. Even went so far as to install the latest merlin firmware, same thing (i really thought that would work).

After a factory reset, the 2.4 band seems to be work ok at first, but as I add devices, there seems to be a point were it craps out. Not necessarily adding devices to the 2.4 band either, plugging in ethernet devices seem to make the 2.4 band hit that point as well. Even though you would think they would be unrelated. I don't know if it was the attempt to do an aimesh, or something went wrong during the firmware update, I'm not sure. I don't have anymore devices than I did before all of this, and it was working just fine. I have a ticket open with asus support right now as well, but they haven't given me anything useful yet. It's really very strange. I just wanted to see if any of the knowledgeable folks around here have any thoughts? Thanks.

What firmware are you using on the routers now?

I recommend RMerlin firmware (either the 384.19_0 stable branch if you'd feel more comfortable with a release firmware, or, the RMerlin 386.1 Beta 4 firmware if you want to have the latest features and security and performance improvements possible today).

Home | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

The following links may help get your routers/network back to a good/known state.

New M&M 2020

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

Only if there are still issues after following all the suggestions above, the link below may help determine if the issue may be a possible hardware issue.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Further reading that may help you too.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

What firmware are you using on the routers now?

I recommend RMerlin firmware (either the 384.19_0 stable branch if you'd feel more comfortable with a release firmware, or, the RMerlin 386.1 Beta 4 firmware if you want to have the latest features and security and performance improvements possible today).

Home | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

The following links may help get your routers/network back to a good/known state.

New M&M 2020

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

Only if there are still issues after following all the suggestions above, the link below may help determine if the issue may be a possible hardware issue.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Further reading that may help you too.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

Thanks for responding. I have the most recent stable merlin firmware, 384.19. Most of the suggestions in that first link I've tried to no avail, and that was the process I used to join the aimesh originally. When I did the factory resets, I was using the reset button. I'm going to try and do it via the WPS button now. There is one thing interesting in those links that I haven't tried, and I'm curious as to the reasoning. It is suggesting to not reuse the same SSID after a full reset. I was doing this, as I have all of my devices configured to look for it. That seems to suggest that even after a full reset, something is left behind in the router. I'd like to know what that's all about. Bit of a pain to go around to everything and re-join it (plus I like my SSIDs), but I'll do what I need to do. I'll do that WPS reset today and let you know if it works. Thanks.

It's not what is left on the router that may cause issues, it's what each device assumes about the 'same' old connection but now connecting to new hardware.

I wonder if this is some how similar to a second marriage. :rolleyes:

OE

Alright, so I I did another full factory reset, this time using the WPS button. I used different SSIDs, started adding all of my clients. Then hit the same wall again. I even went back to my old router (an RT-AC66U) and set it up. To my astonishment, it started to do the same thing. So, it can't be the router itself at this point. I have now been adding clients one at a time and checking the speedtest after each one. It appears to be my homemedia (win10 machine) server that causes the 2.4GHz to crash. It doesn't make any sense since this mediaserver is wired via ethernet. But, I've done this half a dozen times now, and when I plug that in, the 2.4GHz band becomes unusable, in both routers. Wired and 5g clients are unaffected, including the server itself. I uninstalled/reinstalled the Nic driver on the server (a newer driver), same issue. This new information is even weirder. Has anyone ever seen something like this? What could possibly be happening on that server that would cause the 2.4GHz band to break on multible routers?

<snip>Not necessarily adding devices to the 2.4 band either, plugging in ethernet devices seem to make the 2.4 band hit that point as well. Even though you would think they would be unrelated.<snip>

the only change you made from a formerly working network, was adding aimesh with a wired backhaul, yes?... and as you stated, adding wired clients caused the 2.4 band to fail... (none of this had anything to do with old/new ssid, as you now know)...

therefore, (1) with the add'l router NOT connected to the network - does the 2.4 fail or function when adding your wired win 10 client, which you believe to be the problem?... and (2) have you confirmed without doubt that your wired-backhaul cable is not mis-wired (pair swapped) with a cable-tester? - as well as your win10 client's cable is correct as well (less likely - just checking)...

Last edited:
therefore, (1) with the add'l router NOT connected to the network - does the 2.4 fail or function when adding your win 10 client, which you believe to be the problem?... and (2) have you confirmed without doubt that your wired-backhaul cable is not mis-wired (pair swapped) with a cable-tester? - as well as your win10 client's cable is correct as well (less likely - just checking)...

1. It does, I've broken the mesh and kept repeater/accesspoint off and disconnected during the troubleshooting process. With the client plugged in, the 2.4 band does continue to fail even when the main router is all by itself. Including my old router, which really surprised me. It's possible the timing of this all is just a coincidence.
2. I had that thought as well, I tried different cables but the issue persisted.

Since they are dirt cheap these days, I ordered a new NIC for the win10 client that will be here tomorrow, just to see if that would make a difference. If indeed this PC is the culprit (I'm in IT myself, this is one of the stranger things I have seen), I would like to avoid having to reimage this thing and build it from scratch.

I agree... it sure smells like a hardware issue... is it a non-intel nic on that mother-bd? - also, sometimes scrubbing the drivers from a mis-behaving nic is a challenge.. and yep (unfortunately) there's always wax-on, wax-off...

I agree... it sure smells like a hardware issue... is it a non-intel nic on that mother-bd? - also, sometimes scrubbing the drivers from a mis-behaving nic is a challenge.. and yep (unfortunately) there's always wax-on, wax-off...

Yeah, the NIC on the motherboard is a Realtek® 8111E. Oddly enough, the motherboard is also an ASUS product. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

So, I got the new NIC, installed it, and plugged her in. It connected fine, got an IP address, and was working as it should. I went to check the 2.4 ghz band, and low and behold, it working correctly. Great I thought, there must have been a thing going on with the onboard NIC that I couldn't explain. At this point, I go ahead and set the client to the static IP that I prefer for that machine (192.168.1.50). The server continues to work fine. I then go and check the 2.4ghz again, and wouldn't you know it, it's crapped out again. So, I unplug the server, plug it back into the onboard NIC and give it a different static IP from the .50 it has always been, and the 2.4ghz band pops back to life again. As of writing this, everything has been good for an hour or so now. Apparently something doesn't like that IP address for some reason, and I can't think of anything that could cause the 2.4 wifi band to crash when a wired client is using a specific IP address that it has been using for years (with 2 different routers mind you). Suffice to say, my home server has found a new IP address to use going forward. Feel free to speculate as to what might cause such odd behavior, but I'm good now. I may, just because I'm curious, give that .50 address to another device to see what happens at some point. Thanks for the responses everyone.

huh?... in your last post, are you using 'client' and 'server' words interchangeably to refer to the same w10 machine (now) with two nics (but only plugged in one at a time)?... or is there a 'server' involved, too?...

assuming your net is a single /24 and testing with just one router (no mesh) - have you pinged .50 on your netwk with that machine (or machines if a 'client' and a 'server') disconnected?... is .50 in your assignable dhcp range? - you see where I'm going here? - L3/L2 and arp resolve... are you sure you don't have a duplicate .50 IP on the 2.4g or wired conns?...

I'm still ?? about your 2.4 (your words)-> "crapped out "... meaning 'no broadcasted ssid' or you can see the ssid and it either won't connect or slow connects?... either way it's an odd symptom...

you indicated the problem moves/remains when you change routers - is that a correct reading on my part?...

huh?... in your last post, are you using 'client' and 'server' words interchangeably to refer to the same w10 machine (now) with two nics (but only plugged in one at a time)?... or is there a 'server' involved, too?...

This is one machine. It is a client on my network, it is used as my home media server (Plex, filezilla among other things). Sorry for the confusion there.

assuming your net is a single /24 and testing with just one router (no mesh) - have you pinged .50 on your netwk with that machine (or machines if a 'client' and a 'server') disconnected?... is .50 in your assignable dhcp range? - you see where I'm going here? - L3/L2 and arp resolve... are you sure you don't have a duplicate .50 IP on the 2.4g or wired conns?...

There isn't another .50 on my network. My DHCP range starts at .100. I leave everything below that to assign static addresses.

I'm still ?? about your 2.4 (your words)-> "crapped out "... meaning 'no broadcasted ssid' or you can see the ssid and it either won't connect or slow connects?... either way it's an odd symptom...

When it "craps out", the SSID is still broadcasting and connectable. All of the clients that were connected to it remain connected as well. However, the bandwidth to the internet either is either so slow, it's unusable (~=< 1Mbps), or it can't get there all together. Only when that win10 machine is a .50 apparently.

you indicated the problem moves/remains when you change routers - is that a correct reading on my part?...

Yeah, during the troubleshooting, I setup my network with my old router (an RT-AC66U). To my amazement, the issue persisted with this one client and the 2.4 band. It doesn't make any sense. This all started after I did the firmware update and enabled the aimesh. I thought that had to be the culprit in the beginning, but when it continued with the old router, I think the timing may have been a coincidence. It's really weird.

thx for the clarifications... yes, damn weird that a nic (AND the new nic too? - its config maybe?) - would cause interference only with the 2.4 band... somewhere, somebody on the planet has to have seen this before... have another cpu client you could set to .50 just for yucks?... and does setting the original problem win10 box to a static in that range - 49, 51 do it too?...

damn... all that's left is a wax-on. wax-off of the w10 operating system... I got nuthin'... sorry to waste your time man...

is there any chance in the world that the aimesh node is at addr .50 ?... I'd check that just for sanity's sake...

This is one machine. It is a client on my network, it is used as my home media server (Plex, filezilla among other things). Sorry for the confusion there.

There isn't another .50 on my network. My DHCP range starts at .100. I leave everything below that to assign static addresses.

When it "craps out", the SSID is still broadcasting and connectable. All of the clients that were connected to it remain connected as well. However, the bandwidth to the internet either is either so slow, it's unusable (~=< 1Mbps), or it can't get there all together. Only when that win10 machine is a .50 apparently.

Yeah, during the troubleshooting, I setup my network with my old router (an RT-AC66U). To my amazement, the issue persisted with this one client and the 2.4 band. It doesn't make any sense. This all started after I did the firmware update and enabled the aimesh. I thought that had to be the culprit in the beginning, but when it continued with the old router, I think the timing may have been a coincidence. It's really weird.

Hi There- I think I may have had this happen to me this weekend. I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on. I had upgraded to the latest 386 beta 4 firmware, and things were working great. Fast forward to yesterday and nothing on my 2.4 ghz connection will stay online for more than 2 minutes. Any other thoughts? Ive tried factory reset and everything.

I have the same (or similar) issues with GT-AC5300 as the main router and AC1900 as the mesh node. Tried wired, wireless everything - but the whole mesh kind of "hangs" - wired connections seem to work - but the 2.4GHz is worst hit it seems. Devices can't get to the internet. Any solution so far?

I worked on this for about 6 hours yesterday. Knock on wood I “think” I have things working but the logic in things doesn’t add up to me. When all of this started I was on 386 beta 4, on all devices and things were running great. Over the weekend I was hit with a 3 second power glitch and all of this started (not sure if this has any factor or coincidence). I’d really like to get back to 386 beta 4 but guess I’m hesitant at this point. I did following last night and I’m in a “steady run” for about 8 hours now:

1.) using factory reset option in GUI, flashes to clean beta 4 firmware.
2.) Still was having issues so I flashed to 384.19 Merlin image. Still was having issues so I decided to turn on the 2.4 ghz Guest Network with the SSID that I have been broadcasting and changed the SSID on “normal” 2.4 ghz broadcast. From here, I saw some things starting to connect.
3.) I then reset 2.4 ghz SSID to same as Guest network
4.) waited for things to connect
5.) turned off Guest network
6.) things appear to be stable now with this approach. Again, running 384.19. Id like to get back to beta 4 but hesitant.

curious to continue thoughts/experiences from others.

is there any chance in the world that the aimesh node is at addr .50 ?... I'd check that just for sanity's sake...

My AIMesh node is .2. I give it a reservation. I actually broke the AIMesh and decided to just use it as an access point. The main reason I wanted to use AImesh is because I wanted to have a smooth transition from AP to AP. But, it doesn't seem to work any better than the roaming assistant option. And from all of the threads I've seen on this forum and others, it seems to be be spotty for many others as well. So, if AIMesh isn't going to give me that consistently, I'd rather just have it be an AP so I have full control over it. In AImesh mode, you can't directly control the node.

I worked on this for about 6 hours yesterday. Knock on wood I “think” I have things working but the logic in things doesn’t add up to me. When all of this started I was on 386 beta 4, on all devices and things were running great. Over the weekend I was hit with a 3 second power glitch and all of this started (not sure if this has any factor or coincidence). I’d really like to get back to 386 beta 4 but guess I’m hesitant at this point. I did following last night and I’m in a “steady run” for about 8 hours now:

1.) using factory reset option in GUI, flashes to clean beta 4 firmware.
2.) Still was having issues so I flashed to 384.19 Merlin image. Still was having issues so I decided to turn on the 2.4 ghz Guest Network with the SSID that I have been broadcasting and changed the SSID on “normal” 2.4 ghz broadcast. From here, I saw some things starting to connect.
3.) I then reset 2.4 ghz SSID to same as Guest network
4.) waited for things to connect
5.) turned off Guest network
6.) things appear to be stable now with this approach. Again, running 384.19. Id like to get back to beta 4 but hesitant.

curious to continue thoughts/experiences from others.

Ever since I changed the IP address of the client that appeared to be the culprit, the 2.4 band has been stable. I still don't understand what could possibly be the correlation between a wired client's IP (one it has had for years and is not being used anywhere else), and the bandwidth of the 2.4ghz wireless (and only that). But, here we are.

My AIMesh node is .2. I give it a reservation. I actually broke the AIMesh and decided to just use it as an access point. The main reason I wanted to use AImesh is because I wanted to have a smooth transition from AP to AP. But, it doesn't seem to work any better than the roaming assistant option. And from all of the threads I've seen on this forum and others, it seems to be be spotty for many others as well. So, if AIMesh isn't going to give me that consistently, I'd rather just have it be an AP so I have full control over it. In AImesh mode, you can't directly control the node.

Ever since I changed the IP address of the client that appeared to be the culprit, the 2.4 band has been stable. I still don't understand what could possibly be the correlation between a wired client's IP (one it has had for years and is not being used anywhere else), and the bandwidth of the 2.4ghz wireless (and only that). But, here we are.
Out of curiosity, what firmware are you running 386 beta 4? I jumped down to 384.19 but would like to go back...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!