What's new

Scribe Strange Issue with Scribe / Syslog-NG after Reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ScottW

About 3 months ago, I rebooted my AX86U and noticed afterwards that syslog-ng was not logging correctly. The files were simply not being updated. Scribe status showed everything as working. Rather than investigate, I just did a scribe restart and the logging began working fine again.

The next time I rebooted (about 2 months ago), I again noticed syslog-ng was not updating files after the reboot. As before, Scribe status showed everything was fine, and a scribe restart fixed the problem.

I noticed it again this week, so I started investigating. I *think* I found the problem -- which is that (2) instances of syslog-ng are running after boot (I assume they are fighting over the message sources). But I can't figure out how it is getting started twice.

I added some ps | grep syslog-ng >>/jffs/testlog.log statements to services-start and firewall-start. At services-start time, there was no instance of syslog-ng. At firewall-start, there was still no syslog-ng process running. About 25 seconds later, there was a second firewall-start event -- and at that point, there were TWO syslog-ng processes (plus the two service supervisor processes) running.
Code:
 3393 admin    13356 S    {syslog-ng} supervising syslog-ng
 3394 admin     374m S    syslog-ng
 3448 admin    13356 S    {syslog-ng} supervising syslog-ng
 3450 admin     344m S    syslog-ng

Executing a scribe restart command killed both of those and created a single new syslog-ng process (plus the supervising process). After that, everything worked correctly (until the next reboot).

I uninstalled scribe and syslog-ng, using the uninstall command on the scribe menu. Rebooted, and there was no syslog-ng process running. Used AMTM to reinstall Scribe, with the default configuration. Rebooted, and the duplicate syslog-ng is back! As before, scribe restart kills both of them, starts up a new one, and everything works fine again.

What could be causing syslog-ng to be started twice? I have looked through all files in /jffs/scripts, looking for any reference to scribe or syslog-ng. The only relevant call is in service-event, where it belongs.

There's nothing in /etc/init.d calling scribe or syslog-ng. In /opt/init.d, I have rc.func.syslog-ng and S01syslog-ng files, both of which are freshly replaced by today's re-install of Scribe. Nothing else there seems to reference syslog-ng.

Any ideas what is happening here, or how to track it down?

I also see multiple instances of these processes. Is that normal?
Code:
 7084    admin     3424     S N      {taildnstotal-ca} /bin/sh /jffs/addons/uiDivStats.d/taildns.d/taildnstotal-cache
7105    admin     3424     S N      {taildnstotal-ca} /bin/sh /jffs/addons/uiDivStats.d/taildns.d/taildnstotal-cache
9529    admin     3556     S        {uiDivStats} /bin/sh /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats querylog
16155    admin     3556     S        {uiDivStats} /bin/sh /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats querylog
19540    admin     3556     S        {uiDivStats} /bin/sh /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats querylog
29162    admin     3556     S        {uiDivStats} /bin/sh /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats querylog

You could try the gamma, but check the prerequisites first regarding syslog.log location and symlink.

Update...

I did a backup of the USB drive and set it up again with amtm. Before, it was two partitions: partition-1 was 80gb ext4, and partition-2 was unformatted. This time I set it up as one ext 4 partition using the entire drive. Used amtm to create the 4gb swap file, as before, then restored the backup.

After a reboot... Only a single syslog-ng process, and syslog-ng is logging properly. Not really sure if it was something about the empty partition, or maybe something else amiss with the formatting -- but it seems to be operating much better now!

It's strange though, that I have two syslog-NG processes with one sticking on zero runtime, yet no such errors.
Glad you found your solution
Screenshot_2023-12-30-08-50-18-50_96079702262017ccfd2f2f70f93088e6.jpg

Last edited:
It's strange though, that I have two syslog-NG processes with one sticking on zero time, yet no such errors.
Glad you found your solution
View attachment 55189

Well... My linux knowledge is really limited, so I could be off base here but...

I *think* the "white" line in your 'htop' snapshot is the main process -- and the "green" line(s) are worker threads. So, you have only (1) main process, and (1) worker thread. If you run "ps | grep "syslog-ng", it will only show the main process (pid=10356).

The problem I had was (2) main syslog-ng processes, i.e., (2) of the "white" syslog-ng lines. When I ran ps | grep "syslog-ng", it returned (2) main syslog-ng processes (and two of the supervisors).

I still can't figure out what was causing that -- or why a backup/reformat/restore would stop it, when uninstalling/reinstalling scribe and syslog-ng had no effect.

Thanks for the clarity. I wasn't particularly worried about it as it's running fine, just pointing out the two processes as you had explained.
I still can't figure out what was causing that -- or why a backup/reformat/restore would stop it, when uninstalling/reinstalling scribe and syslog-ng had no effect.
Mysteries, gotta love them.