What's new

Strange Wan slowdown RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Clint_Ostwald

New Around Here
Strange WAN slow down (wired)

I have a 300/300mbit fiber connection and my Asus is slowing down the download speed with about 30/40%.
However, the upload is above 300mbit, so normal.
This is with the stock and Merlins firmware.
Without a router or with the 60% cheaper TP-Link WDR3600, both my up and download speed are normal (320/320).

Is this software related or is it a defect?
Thinking of returning the Asus and keeping th TP-Link.

Thanks

Keep QoS disabled to ensure that HW acceleration gets used by the router (at those speed you will need it). Make sure Download Master isn't installed, as it will suck up your bandwidth. Ensure that all network cables (including the one between modem and router) are Cat5e or Cat6. If in doubt, change the cable between the modem and the router just to be safe.

@RMerlin thanks for your reply/ suggestions.

QOS is disabled and no downloadmaster or other addons are installed. At this moment there is a default Merlin firmware installed.
And I use the cat5e cables from my internetprovider. With these cables the up/ downspeed with the Tp-Link is good (320/320), so the cables must be okay.
And strange thing is, the upload speed with the Asusrouter is also okay, over 300. Only the downloadspeed is slowed down.:confused:

QOS is disabled and no downloadmaster or other addons are installed. At this moment there is a default Merlin firmware installed.
And I use the cat5e cables from my internetprovider. With these cables the up/ downspeed with the Tp-Link is good (320/320), so the cables must be okay.
And strange thing is, the upload speed with the Asusrouter is also okay, over 300. Only the downloadspeed is slowed down.:confused:

check your fiber connection by using the modem directly.

320/320 fiber? incredible! Please tell me what provider you are using and what are you paying for this, i am curious (and of course jealous :) ).
Thank you!

check your fiber connection by using the modem directly.

320/320 fiber? incredible! Please tell me what provider you are using and what are you paying for this, i am curious (and of course jealous :) ).
Thank you!

Already did check with the modem connected directly to the pc and the result is full speed. As the same with the cheap TP-Link, but with the Asus my dowload is reduced by about 30/40%. The Upload however, is full speed.

The provider is Caiway, located in the Netherlands (Europe)

Last edited:

Go to the Tools -> Sysinfo page, and confirm that it shows Hardware Acceleration as being enabled. This will be required for those speed.

HI,

i just purchased this router too and i am having was speed issue , if i connect to my modem, wan from asus , to my modem lan, and internet type as DHCP i get 180mb/down and 180mb upload,

if i choose pppoe it does not work as dhcp i get max 40mb and upload 10mb.

My provider is Bell Canada and i am using there provided Sagem Modem.

anyone here can advice me what to do?

by the way Clint_Ostwald ? which Area in the ntehrlands are you in? i have my summer house in the Netherlands ( Almere ) i am with XS4ALL max they give me is 100mb :( i checked caiway and verify my address the answer was in dutch so i did not understand it good, does caiway use there own fiber network or they use reggefiber like the others? how can i get more then 100mb? as i know only KPN had 500mb in ijburg, :( i really appreciate getting more then 100mb in the Netherlands.

Strange WAN slow down (wired)

I have a 300/300mbit fiber connection and my Asus is slowing down the download speed with about 30/40%.
However, the upload is above 300mbit, so normal.
This is with the stock and Merlins firmware.
Without a router or with the 60% cheaper TP-Link WDR3600, both my up and download speed are normal (320/320).

Is this software related or is it a defect?
Thinking of returning the Asus and keeping th TP-Link.

Thanks

I've had the same download issue, as mencioned in http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=11999

I think AC66U has great hardware, but crap soft.

The ping time to host 192.168.1.1 varies from 1 ms to 10 ms what is unacceptable, since any cheap router has < 1ms ping.

The ping time to host 192.168.1.1 varies from 1 ms to 10 ms what is unacceptable, since any cheap router has < 1ms ping.

That issue was fixed by Asus in recent FW updates.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!