What's new

Streaming Devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's likely that you're seeing a wifi-direct channel used for the Roku's remote control or screen sharing. Typically, wifi-direct uses names like "DIRECT-roku-xxxxx". It can be ignored.

I agree - this is the wifi direct SSID broadcast from the Roku to share content/media from another source (PC, Mobile Phone, etc).

It's harmless, it is just a beacon unless it's being used, and it's secured, so not a thing to worry about there (the Roku wouldn't route to the LAN from that interface anyways).

I can confirm this is the Roku remote. I walked out toward edge of property, acre lot, watching the signal fade
and finally dropped off. It reconnected when I was way closer in. Sorry for delayed reply, thanks for the help!

I can confirm this is the Roku remote. I walked out toward edge of property, acre lot, watching the signal fade
and finally dropped off. It reconnected when I was way closer in. Sorry for delayed reply, thanks for the help!
Yes..roku used to provide a hidden menu setting to turn down the wifi direct signal but took it way. I surmise Roku should get into the wifi router business because their device have such good range

Yes..roku used to provide a hidden menu setting to turn down the wifi direct signal but took it way. I surmise Roku should get into the wifi router business because their device have such good range
I used to use that to disable WifI drirect as the Rokus I had/tested (Was also a beta tester) a while back used to cause major interference, not sure if things have changed, granted it probably wasn't common issue, but I remember there were lots of posts on the net in regards to the issue. I liked using their IR remotes due to that..

I used to use that to disable WifI drirect as the Rokus I had/tested (Was also a beta tester) a while back used to cause major interference

I can't imagine how it could cause "major interference" - it was just a beacon frame sent out over the air... no traffic unless it was actually used for WiFi-Direct...

No different than Android TV/Chromecast boxes using Casting or Apple Airplay (AWDL)...

I’ve never had issues with Chromecast or other devices only Roku especially with the WiFi remotes

Here’s a decent explanation and how to disable, has to do with their “Interference mitigation“ feature:

Even University of South Dakota had a write up on the issue, so it must have been pretty noticeable.

Last edited:
Reactions: EPR
I can't imagine how it could cause "major interference" - it was just a beacon frame sent out over the air... no traffic unless it was actually used for WiFi-Direct...

No different than Android TV/Chromecast boxes using Casting or Apple Airplay (AWDL)...
For me I understand that. But tell it to netgear tech support who, seeing the extremely large signal on the ssid scan, blamed it for their router problems and world hunger. Nonsense I know. I will say I have an Amazon firestick and it's wifi direct signal is small compared to my router. My Rokus...I've switched all to infared.

I followed what @avtella provided on one Roku, while watching inSSIDer, remote was a solid arc, active, when I finished the arc
was a dashed arc, inactive. When I looked after a hour or so it had disappeared. I will do the others. No problems so far with first one.
Thanks again to @avtella for this!

I followed what @avtella provided on one Roku, while watching inSSIDer, remote was a solid arc, active, when I finished the arc
was a dashed arc, inactive. When I looked after a hour or so it had disappeared. I will do the others. No problems so far with first one.
Thanks again to @avtella for this!

Roku took away the "Interfence" option in the wifi menu so that solution does not work anymore.

For the device connect solution... I cannot turn it off as the Roku says there is a paired remote. (and I can't unpair it even with the infared remote. I asked Roku support and the only way to disable device connect in that case is to factory reset the roku and use an infared remote to set it up (reseting all your channels/apps). Never use the first or any wifi remote.

Roku really really wants to blast wifi to the remote at full strength.

My Roku Premiere+ was a connected with ethernet...didnt even have wifi configured and it was blasting out this wifi direct signal.. seem random on restart if it would blast on the 2.4 or 5hz. What I did since I could delete the wifi remote or turn off wifi direct without resetting the Roku is take the batteries out of the remote and restart it and always use the infared remote.. I did not see the wifi signal then on the 2.4 or 5Ghz.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!