What's new

Streaming Devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EPR

Occasional Visitor
Added 1 Roku to the 2.4g and works fine, but, I see another BSSID that follows any channel change I do. Searching I found it is a ghost channel by Roku. I'm a bit concerned about that,
due to not knowing what its doing. So I have not added the others yet.

Should I add the streaming devices to a Guest network for security? I have my outside cameras on Guest 2 working great. Should I add to Guest 2 or another Guest network? Best practice?

Also, should the IoT's, cameras and streaming, be added manually to DHCP or left alone?

Added 1 Roku to the 2.4g and works fine, but, I see another BSSID that follows any channel change I do. Searching I found it is a ghost channel by Roku. I'm a bit concerned about that, due to not knowing what its doing. So I have not added the others yet.
It's likely that you're seeing a wifi-direct channel used for the Roku's remote control or screen sharing. Typically, wifi-direct uses names like "DIRECT-roku-xxxxx". It can be ignored.

Should I add the streaming devices to a Guest network for security? I have my outside cameras on Guest 2 working great. Should I add to Guest 2 or another Guest network? Best practice?
If the device needs access to resources on your local network (e.g. a NAS containing your media collection) then it has be part of the local network. If it only needs internet access then you can put it on a guest network if you're concerned about it. I would be more concerned about isolating cheap IoT devices that don't get security updates (e.g. Chinese cameras, DVRs, etc.). Those I would keep isolated from everything else if possible.

Also, should the IoT's, cameras and streaming, be added manually to DHCP or left alone?
If it's working leave it as it is unless you discover a reason to change it.

It's likely that you're seeing a wifi-direct channel used for the Roku's remote control or screen sharing. Typically, wifi-direct uses names like "DIRECT-roku-xxxxx". It can be ignored.
I have not seen the Roku ghost until I looked at inSSIDer (free), version. Nothing in the router control panel, client lists. The signal is -25 to -30
less than the Roku itself is, 2.4g channel. I put the remote closer to router but no signal change. Looking at wireless log page, Roku shows 1 stream.
Should there be 2 streams with the remote and receiver? I'm probably splitting hairs here, but curious.
If the device needs access to resources on your local network (e.g. a NAS containing your media collection) then it has be part of the local network. If it only needs internet access then you can put it on a guest network if you're concerned about it. I would be more concerned about isolating cheap IoT devices that don't get security updates (e.g. Chinese cameras, DVRs, etc.). Those I would keep isolated from everything else if possible.
Roku just needs internet. All cameras are Google Nest. Chose those since they are always on and image quality quite good. I looked at other friends set ups
and some had the cheap stuff, which I avoid anyway.
If it's working leave it as it is unless you discover a reason to change it.
I'll let them be for now.

Should explicit beamforming be on or off on 2.4g it is on at this time? Universal beamforming is off.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I have not seen the Roku ghost until I looked at inSSIDer (free), version. Nothing in the router control panel, client lists. The signal is -25 to -30
less than the Roku itself is, 2.4g channel. I put the remote closer to router but no signal change. Looking at wireless log page, Roku shows 1 stream.
Should there be 2 streams with the remote and receiver? I'm probably splitting hairs here, but curious.
The above was just my initial guess without seeing what you're seeing. You can often tell what device it is by its BSSID. If you post a screenshot we might have a better idea.

Should explicit beamforming be on or off on 2.4g it is on at this time? Universal beamforming is off.
Again, use what works for you. There's no right or wrong setting. I have mine setup the same as you.

Last edited:
Yes that is most likely Rokus wifi direct remotes. I have that even on my ethernet connected (no wifi configured) Roku Premier+. The signal from it was stronger than my ASUS router .... like they expect me to change channels on the Roku from out at the end of my driveway.

They used to have a hidden menu option to turn down the power but they took that away. My thread is 4 years old on the Roku community..Roku does not see the problem. One guy went so far as to open the roku up and clip the antennas. Im baffled why they need the wifi tobe remote broadcasting so strongly... Roku should make routers because I surmise their range would be phenomenal.

I've since gotten an infrared remote for it but since it was set up initially with a wifi remote there was no way to delete it..thanks again Roku. The best I've come up is to power cycle the Roku, and dont ever use the wifi direct remote(take the batteries out) only use the infared one. Or course this not work on ones like the stick as they could be behind the TV.

Sadly Amazon firesticks also have a wifi direct channel but I dont recall them being stronger than my router.

@ColinTaylor I can post some pics. What do you need? As long as I'm not exposing anything that could cause me trouble.

Just post the screenshot from inSSIDer. There's nothing particularly sensitive there. Maybe block out a couple of characters of the SSID if you're really paranoid, but we do need to see the complete BSSIDs to analyze the issue.

Last edited:
It is the [Hidden SSID]. I placed the Roku on 2.4 not hidden and then found the "Hidden" one following it around on channel change. Only difference
is the SSID on each are the same except the last 2 characters at end. So that kinda makes sense. Sure wished when they did this they tell you.

2023-05-05.png

I used NetSpot, if you want one from inSSIDer I can do that too.

Yes that is most likely Rokus wifi direct remotes. I have that even on my ethernet connected (no wifi configured) Roku Premier+. The signal from it was stronger than my ASUS router .... like they expect me to change channels on the Roku from out at the end of my driveway.

They used to have a hidden menu option to turn down the power but they took that away. My thread is 4 years old on the Roku community..Roku does not see the problem. One guy went so far as to open the roku up and clip the antennas. Im baffled why they need the wifi tobe remote broadcasting so strongly... Roku should make routers because I surmise their range would be phenomenal.

I've since gotten an infrared remote for it but since it was set up initially with a wifi remote there was no way to delete it..thanks again Roku. The best I've come up is to power cycle the Roku, and dont ever use the wifi direct remote(take the batteries out) only use the infared one. Or course this not work on ones like the stick as they could be behind the TV.

Sadly Amazon firesticks also have a wifi direct channel but I dont recall them being stronger than my router.
I did read that thread and a few others, so seems they are doing it for a while then.

According to this that OUI is (was?) owned by Roku. Try removing the channel overlay window and sorting the data by signal strength.

Here is inSSIDer

2023-05-05_1.png

According to this that OUI is (was?) owned by Roku. Try removing the channel overlay window and sorting the data by signal strength.
It is sorted by signal strength, see at top. It usually cycles on/off, see the graph next to it.

Move your laptop running inSSIDer next to the Roku (not the remote) and see if the signal strength increases.

Now it does not even show up. I tried with a macbook and same result. Come back to this windows laptop and shows on inSSIDer. Weird...

It's a new family game - hunt the SSID! Try installing one of those Wi-Fi analyser apps on your phone. Select the hidden SSID and walk around the house trying to find where the signal is strongest.

Well, it obviously Roku, and one one is plugged in. I'll unplugged the Roku and see if it disappears. Not sure why it only shows on this windows rig only though.

I'll keep searching...

Maybe @Tech9 is tracking me, I see he is tracking Mandalorians, saw my network names. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: EPR
This Roku is about 4 years old. When I unplug is completely it disappears. Plug it back in and add back to 2.4g network it is not visible, but after
a few minutes it jumps off 2.4 network and shows itself as [Hidden SSID]. You can see that in the NetSpot pic 4th line. And no Vendor name like
the ASUSTek. I have 2 more 1 new in box will try and see if same result.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!