What's new

Struggling with OVPN Server can someone advise me please?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skeal

Part of the Furniture
Good morning:

I've had OVPN Server working on an AX88U an AC68U and an AC1900P all of which worked quite well.

Yesterday I reset all three routers to factory defaults (maintenance), the AX88U is on 386.8 and the others on 386.7_2

Since the router was reset to defaults with just a default OVPN Server setup. I cannot access the router itself but the OVPN shows connected, at the same the VPN Server provides internet access to the connected clients.

Router to router OVPN Server connections and OpenVPN Connect on Android, all fail to open the routers Firmware pages.

I wish the logs showed something but they don't. OVPN shows it's connected in the logs with no problems, and the system log shows no entry at that time slot.

From the clients point of view things work fine. From the network supervisor's view point it's a pain in the butt. Right now I use Teamviewer to gain access on the clients network, through a device.

I guess the questions I have is: Is this related to updates in OVPN of recent? or Is this another outer function going on like the jffs script that runs when OVPN anything is started or stopped? Or am I just not with it here and haven't found the clue?

Please anyone with OVPN Server knowledge better than mine.....HELP PLEASE!

Is the open vpn servers configured with lan, internet or both access?

Is it set to access Internet Only?
Is the open vpn servers configured with lan, internet or both access?
With the test being just defaults, the default setting is LAN. That should give you access to the router. That being said though, both of the other settings didn't work to get me in to these routers either. I left my clients routers at "both" so they can use the VPN Server when out and about.

Try to set and see if it helps with:
Code:
Advertise DNS to clients = yes
Any configuration in LAN/DNS-Filter?

I use my own router to test different configs before trying deploying them to my clients routers.

Code:
Advertise DNS to clients is set to no as it's default. But I have tried it along the way several times as well as i though t it would be a must for Internet.
Have you re-downloaded a new OVPN config since resetting the router/s?
Yeah plenty of them...sigh

I know I had issues setting up OVPN Client with 386.8 but I was also trying out the (AXE16000). I never figured it out. Best of luck and hopefully you're able to figure it out.

Code:
Yes it's set to router.

Remember the Server client connection has been made everytime. Stability of the connection is not a problem.

Code:
Router and client connect, connection to the webui for the router is refused. I also tried firefox as a second tester.

Router and client connect, connection to the webui for the router is refused. I also tried firefox as a second tester.
Try to just restart vpnserver.
I remember I have problem with that.

I know I had issues setting up OVPN Client with 386.8 but I was also trying out the (AXE16000). I never figured it out. Best of luck and hopefully you're able to figure it out.
Client is working fine here and the server seems to be working fine. I'm thinking it's something else.

Try to just restart vpnserver.
I remember I have problem with that.
Browser reports this site cannot be reached 192.168.50.1 refused to connect.

What about this service event script for ovpn stuff and routing tables etc. ?

Using this command
service restart_vpnserver1

Anyone else want a kicjk at this? anyone know OVPN pretty good? How about you @RMerlin ? I am at a total loss here. I've been running this same setup for years and now since a restore to defaults on the routers involved nothing works right.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!