What's new

stupid proof router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zedpol

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, my brother in law asked for a router for christmas. I end up doing the family's tech support so I was looking for something that is totally stupid proof that he can set up himself. I don't really care about speed, 802.11g is fine, < 50 dollars. Who is up to the challenge?

thanks,
Z

Cisco Valet M10 Wireless Router - provides a USB drive called a "Easy Setup Key" with connect software that also can hold the initial setup settings to be ported to other clients.

Linksys E1000 Wireless Router - provides only a cd with connect software and will require your own USB drive to create the Easy Setup Key to port settings to other clients.

Both come with Cisco Connect Software to help guide you with setup.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31117-cisco-valet-m10-wireless-hotspot-reviewed

Last edited:
Hi all, my brother in law asked for a router for christmas. I end up doing the family's tech support so I was looking for something that is totally stupid proof that he can set up himself. I don't really care about speed, 802.11g is fine, < 50 dollars. Who is up to the challenge?

thanks,
Z
Some good consumer routers come with a paper-printed, large color graphical how-to-setup guide. Linksys is good about doing this.

I haven't used the Linksys Valet which, like Buffalo Tech's automation, is supposed to really simplify the process. Not sure if it needs the user PCs to be Linksys as well in order that it be seamless for Mr. Valet.

No need for linksys client hardware to function, it's a custom Windows Connect Now + Network Magic/WPS like software for both Mac and PC that configures the router as well as the client the first time, and comes on a USB that retains settings to port to other clients.

I assume the Buffalo Tech solution is AOSS (AirStation One-Touch Secure Setup), that is just based on WPS alone, but does support multiple vendor clients using their Client Manager 3. Using Windows Connect Now on top of AOSS w/ CM3 could result in something similar to Cisco's Connect software solution, but more hastle having to manually configure the router first which Cisco Connect guides you through.

Buffalo Tech has some routers in the same price range if you think just reading the Manual/Setup guide will be enough of a stupid proof. I recommend going with one the Cisco/Linksys routers.

Last edited: