What's new

Help picking a AX router for 3000 sq-ft 2 story + (900 sq-ft basement)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OVKHuman

New Around Here
I'm look to grab a new modem and router as my previous combo (C7000V2) is reaching its end. Looking to keep the price around $300 +/- 50 at the highest.

Already purchased Arris S33 for the modem and using 1.2Gbps plan on Xfinity

The current set up has been barely reaching my security cameras (they work but the video feeds are not reliable) outdoor with the router placed somewhat centrally (not really but the best we can do) upstairs. I was initially looking into mesh systems but running ethernet would be a difficult challenge and MoCA sounds like a bit of a pain so I've been looking more into traditional routers. If anyone has a reason that I should swing mesh or traditional I'd be thankful.

Some options I was looking at:

• RT-AX88U Pro
    • It's "only" $269 on Amazon and seems to be a less gamery version of the GT-AX 6000
  • GT-AX11000 Pro
    • $350 I've just heard its the "end game" for consumer routers
  • XT9
    • $350, its the same price as the XT8 on Amazon
  • Deco X5700/4300 Pro
    • I've heard they good mesh systems but I've also heard a lot about TP-link's poor software support and recent privacy scandals

Welcome to the forums @OVKHuman.

What is your price for a GT-AX6000? The RT-AX88U Pro may prove to be better in the long run, but today, nobody knows that for sure. However, with RMerlin firmware support, I would be inclined to at least test it for the full return period.

As for the other options, hard no.

With WiFi 7 out already, the least expensive quality router is your best choice. And the GT-AX6000 and possibly the RT-AX88U Pro, are your best bang for the buck, today.

Pomey up the cash to run Ethernet to another location and get an AP to extend the signal. Cost should be the same as a router but 2-3x the coverage since you'll have two points of broadcast instead of one trying to cover the same area. Figuring $100 for an electrician to run the cable and $150 for the AP.

Welcome to the forums @OVKHuman.

What is your price for a GT-AX6000? The RT-AX88U Pro may prove to be better in the long run, but today, nobody knows that for sure. However, with RMerlin firmware support, I would be inclined to at least test it for the full return period.

As for the other options, hard no.

With WiFi 7 out already, the least expensive quality router is your best choice. And the GT-AX6000 and possibly the RT-AX88U Pro, are your best bang for the buck, today.
The GT-AX 6000 is $329; The amazon return period is 30 days, do you reckon this is enough time to effectively "test" the router?

30 days are enough with a known router (well tested by many) and being able to see the direct and immediate improvements in your environment. The rest of the time is only needed to test the stability and reliability of that specific unit. In your situation, I would buy both and see if the RT-AX88U Pro is stable enough, for you. :)

There is no need to use an app and doesn't matter what it shows (better or worse). Your day-to-day usage of the network will be enough of a 'test'.

Why are WiFi apps useless? Because they can't account for non-WiFi interference and still think that mere numbers are relevant when, by themselves, they're not.

I, be get full coverage in my house 2 floors plus basement , maybe I'm just lucky ? Don't use mesh just the router . Best to test the router for a few days if it does not cover the house return and try another . I'm beginning to wonder if some of you live in Buckingham palace , my house is not huge 60 feet by 50 Brick with concrete basement and I've never had a problem , even my RT3200 covered the house no problem

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!