What's new

Upgrade equipment for new higher speed internet service

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DarthDennis

New Around Here
I recently got bumped up to 1.2GB service from Xfinity (Comcast) during my annual "I need a new promo deal" negotiations with them. It was cheaper than keeping my previous speed of 800mbps or even downgrading to 400mbps.

My current equipment:
  • Arris modem only capable of 400mbps and will be replaced with a Arris S33 in the next day or 2
  • Netgear R6220 AC1200 router
My devices include the following:
  • 2 older Wi-Fi thermostats (2.4 only)
  • 2 new Ring cameras (just got them for Christmas and still in boxes)
  • 4 Roku streaming TVs
  • 2 laptops
  • 2 iPads
  • 3 Android phones
  • Xbox one
  • an Omma Voip phone and a security system hub are connected to the router LAN ports.
Usage: Other than the last bullet, all listed devices are WiFi connected with no direct wire option. Only one android phone and 2 laptops are WiFi 6. Typically 2 tvs streaming at same time, but mostly HD and not 4k+. Ipads and phone only using for web browsing mostly. Xbox really only used for local gaming and not online multiplayer. So, not a lot of drain.

My Questions:
I need to upgrade the router. I realize I won't get near the 1.2GB wirelessly (who knows if I'll even get that at the modem), but surely a newer router will speed things up a bit. My coverage is mostly fine with the existing router. I've been looking at ASUS routers so that I might add another in mesh mode to boost performance in one area of the house, but not needed immediately.
  1. Is it worth spending more to get a router with a 2.5gb WAN port to allow the router to access as much of the speed coming in as possible (with the assumption that each year I renegotiate a deal with them it will lead to increased speed tier) or is it a waste since none of my devices can even connect quickly enough?
    • I was looking at the Asus AX3000 at about $140, but only 1GB WAN
  2. Recommendation on router base on answer to #1
My preferred budget is closer to $150 US, but I can go closer to $250 if a compelling reason to do so.

Thanks!

Add an AP instead and you can get those 1.2 speeds using 160mhz. I use an nwa210ax and bumping the wifi adapters to ax411 can hit lan speeds around 1.7

I need to upgrade the router.

With your few active devices any AX3000 class router will be more than enough. The "cheaper" Internet plan will turn more expensive if you decide to "futureproof" your router purchase and spend money for nothing. If you are happy now with what you already have your Internet experience perhaps won't change much. You'll be doing the same thing online and watching movies the same way $150 or $250 later.

Reactions: tgl
I recently got bumped up to 1.2GB service from Xfinity (Comcast) during my annual "I need a new promo deal" negotiations with them. It was cheaper than keeping my previous speed of 800mbps or even downgrading to 400mbps.

My current equipment:
  • Arris modem only capable of 400mbps and will be replaced with a Arris S33 in the next day or 2
Avoid the s33 if you have comcrap! I have the s33, and it is not approved for their "next gen speeds", which I just discovered, today.
Arris g54 is currently one of only three approved modems.

Avoid the s33 if you have comcrap! I have the s33, and it is not approved for their "next gen speeds", which I just discovered, today.
Arris g54 is currently one of only three approved modems.
I believe they are working on certifying some of these models such as the S33 and what I have, the SB8200. Whether it actually happens or not remains to be seen. You can read the lengthy thread about this on dsl reports. Here is the latest approved devices and this list is updated as new items are approved:

Xfinity Approved Devices

Last edited:
The S33 is now on Comcast's recommended list...

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 4.40.32 PM.png

s33 has been on the recommended list for months, which is why I purchased. Comcrap blames Arris and Arris blames Comcrap for the issues. The s33 is completely under the control of comcrap (their fw), so as the owner I can do nothing in regard to fw/controlling the s33.

I have been dealing with comcrap speeds issue since September. Yesterday, a fiber infrastructure was finished being installed throughout my neighborhood, and specifically my street was the last to be completed. Hoping that the fiber company will activate soon.

I am aware there are pros/cons to both cable and fiber, but the lack of competition has made comcrap arrogant with their piss-poor quality/service/prices!

I believe they are working on certifying some of these models such as the S33 and what I have, the SB8200.
I was told that same line back in August-Dec, and now comcrap states "s33 not on Next-Gen approved list".
As per the Arris website, the SB8200 is only recommended for up to 1-gig plans, although it states it will work at higher speeds.
Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 08-42-19 S33 SURFboard® DOCSIS® 3.1 Cable Modem.png

Last edited:
If the G54 is an option for a residential gateway - it's a good choice...

Feeling comcastic?

Not a good purchase at the current $599 price, and 1GBe ports. Specifically due to the lack of device control the consumer has over their modem, etc when comcrap forces their fw onto your device.

Get the fiber plan, whatever it is. It'll be better. I'd use "cable" maybe only /just/ sooner than I'd use satellite, which comes into consideration also somewhere after DSL...

Fiber.

To clarify what I stated, I meant they are supposedly working on certifying those models for the "Next Gen Speed Tier" which include the higher upload speeds of up to 75, 100 or 200 Mbps (see link below). I didn't mean to say that those model weren't already recommended Comcast devices.

Enhanced Speed Markets

Not a good purchase at the current $599 price, and 1GBe ports. Specifically due to the lack of device control the consumer has over their modem, etc when comcrap forces their fw onto your device.

Not a good purchase at that price, but if the carrier provides it as a rental, who cares?

The s33 is completely under the control of comcrap (their fw), so as the owner I can do nothing in regard to fw/controlling the s33.

Cable operators are going to manage the firmware of the attached prem equipment - whether the customer provides the modem or they do...