What's new

Stupid question what is better Access Points or Mesh ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
Also if I use Access Points how does wifi know which access point to use when going room to room with a wireless device please ?

Mesh generally refers to having multiple access points that are not Ethernet connected (using WiFi for back-haul).

Multiple APs that are hard wired that have similar radio specs will generally always perform better and/or more consistent.

How does a Client know which AP to connect to? Well...that is the part of the magic of it all. Each client can choose how and when to change APs. Generally the AP has little to do with how/when a client roams. Some systems will kick a client from an AP to help encourage a client to jump to a different AP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer multiple POE AP's hooked up to a switch and a separate router. A mesh system forces you to replace the the whole deal if you want to upgrade in the future.

Also if I use Access Points how does wifi know which access point to use when going room to room with a wireless device please ?
A wireless client doesn't know the difference between an AP (access point), a MESH node or a wireless router. All it sees is a free ride. If its current ride is running out of gas it'll look around for another ride ... if there is one. An AP, MESH node or wireless router might advertise a better ride but, ultimately, it is up to the client to make the decision (weighing signal levels, bit rates and what not).

APs often use wired backhauls to the router but many can use wireless backhauls as well. MESH is famous for using wireless backhauls but some to many can use wired backhauls as well.

APs are an "add on" to an existing system and can be from a different manufacturer/vendor.

MESH systems are single vendor and a complete replacement with a single software interface to everything.

If you like your current wireless router you might just add an AP.

If you don't like your current system, or need to add multiple APs, you might want to replace it with a MESH system.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!