What's new

Subnetting Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bl00513

New Around Here
Subnetting / QoS Advice

Hi all, I was just hoping for some suggestions. I am rebuilding my network at home, and I thought I get some thoughts on my new implementation.

Here's what I've got now :
- 2Wire Gateway/Router (POS!) 12Mbps DOWN / 1Mbps UP
- No wired clients as of now - every thing is 802.11G @ 2.4Ghz
- 2 WiFi HDTV's (netflix, Hulu, youtube, etc.)
- 2 Laptops (mainly used for web browsing - nothing too bandwidth intensive)
- 2 Desktops (used as a file servers + occasional browsing)
- 1 WiFi Printer/Scanner
- countless tablets, cell phones, etc.
-(Just bought Linksys E4200 to take the place as my primary router & Wireless AP)

Here's the question -
I'm most concerned with video quality of the HDTV's and Browsing Speed. Currently speed is good on both, but my connection frequently drops and is spotty at best, even at very close proximity to the AP. (which is why I got the E4200) Do you guys think I have any need to setup QoS or Even subnet my multimedia devices & Laptops? In all honesty, I think just removing the piece of %#&! 2Wire as my router and AP will be all the fix that I need. :)

Last edited:
'subnetting' has nothing to do with your dropouts or video quality or browsing speed.

QOS may help while a connection is up, but it won't stop connections from dropping.

sounds like you have a lot of wifi interference, you should experiment with different wifi channels and/or try to move as many devices to the "N" band.

You will of course get the best speeds from gbit wired connections, you should try to do this wherever possible because it removes those device(s) from competing for WIFI bandwidth.

Re:

That's what I am thinking too. I live in a pretty crowded neighborhood, and most of the 2.4Ghz bands are crowded too. That's why I'm installing the new linksys e4200, which is dual band. I think that will fix the dropped connections.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!