What's new

Success: Migrating from 3 x XT8 to GT-AXE16000 + 2 x XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

arrgh

Occasional Visitor
I previously had 3 x XT8's in wired gigabit backhaul (see my other thread for a tale of woe, although they've been quite stable for months)

I recently bought a GT-AXE16000 (for CAD$500!) from ebay. I chose the AXE16000 because I wanted something with 2 10G ports, so I can upgrade my WAN to 3Gbps (the max offered by my local fibre provider) and most of my LAN to 2.5Gbps, since that's the max backhaul speed on the XT8 satellites, and the max supported by any of my computers currently.

I exported the config from the main XT8, and imported it into the AXE16000, and it went fine. The two preexisting satellite units synced up with no additional configuration, all the port forwards carried over... The only thing I had to do was enable 6GHz. :)

My only real complaint at the moment is the gamer crud all over the web UI. :)

I previously had 3 x XT8's in wired gigabit backhaul (see my other thread for a tale of woe, although they've been quite stable for months)

I recently bought a GT-AXE16000 (for CAD$500!) from ebay. I chose the AXE16000 because I wanted something with 2 10G ports, so I can upgrade my WAN to 3Gbps (the max offered by my local fibre provider) and most of my LAN to 2.5Gbps, since that's the max backhaul speed on the XT8 satellites, and the max supported by any of my computers currently.

I exported the config from the main XT8, and imported it into the AXE16000, and it went fine. The two preexisting satellite units synced up with no additional configuration, all the port forwards carried over... The only thing I had to do was enable 6GHz. :)

My only real complaint at the moment is the gamer crud all over the web UI. :)
Well, it is good you did not brick your new router.

Never use a config file from one router model on a different model!

As soon as you can, remove the nodes and factory reset with initialize the AXE16000. Then manually configure it and add the nodes back.

A little update: I did the 3Gb fibre upgrade, and bought some gear...
1710865557684.png

And now my network topology looks like this:
1710865686778.png

I was only getting ~1100Mbps from PCs that had a clean 2.5G wired connection, so I tried experimenting with some router settings, thinking maybe the AXE16000 doesn't have enough CPU to do wire-speed DPI etc... Turns out:
  • Disabling ASUS "AiProtection" (network security crap) didn't help
  • Disabling QoS helped! (I previously had it set to "working from home" or whatever)
From a PC on the 2.5G sub-switch:
1710865886266.png

All-in-all, a successful critical infrastructure modernization project! :)

Attachments

• 1710865800212.png
    1710865800212.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
What model SFP+ to copper did you use? Looking at adding the axe16000 to my twin XT8 as I'm having trouble finding a single.

What model SFP+ to copper did you use? Looking at adding the axe16000 to my twin XT8 as I'm having trouble finding a single.
This is the one I used... I've never used an SFP+ module before so I have no basis for comparison, but it seems fine. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!