What's new

Suggestions for small but powerful 4-8 port PoE switch for home use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StoopidMonkey81

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm looking to buy some EnGenius WAPs and by the look of it they consume 12-18 Watts each and I plan to buy 3 or 4 of them. Based on that the cheapie PoE switches wont' cut it. I don't think I have any need of management so I'd rather not pay the premium for it. Any suggestions? I was looking at D-Link but didn't know if there was a better and/or more cost effective option.

Hi,

I'm looking to buy some EnGenius WAPs and by the look of it they consume 12-18 Watts each and I plan to buy 3 or 4 of them. Based on that the cheapie PoE switches wont' cut it. I don't think I have any need of management so I'd rather not pay the premium for it. Any suggestions? I was looking at D-Link but didn't know if there was a better and/or more cost effective option.
Howdy,
I have found the Trendnet POE switches are the best bang for the buck.
8 ports total, 4 POE ports Older model. TPE-S44
A newer model should be out soon. They have updated the POE ports to the new standard of POE+
The POE+ standard gives you 30 watts per ports. This will run the newer PTZ cameras and such.
8 ports total, 4 POE+ ports. TPE-TG44g Not only is it updated, its also a gig switch. Of course if you need more POE ports, they have other models with TPE-T80 8 full POE+ ports, and TPE-T160 16 POE+ ports. But, eitherway, they are the best simple POE switch to get.

One thing to remember.... look at the standard which the devices uses. Some of the AP's out there might use a non-standard 48v poe injector.

Talked and reviewed here smallnetbuilder previews-cheaper-poe-switches

Last edited:
If you need a POE adapter to knock the 48v down, then I suggest www.panoptictechnology.com

They have many elegant solutions for all types of POE compliant devices and can be used for almost any voltage, 12v, 18v, etc. They also offer 8-port POE managed switches that provide full 48v power on all ports. Having a non-managed POE switch sort of defeats the purpose of a POE switch in the first place.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!