What's new

Looking for an 8-port switch that supports VLAN's (POE a plus) with ports on the back for a desktop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jlficken

Occasional Visitor
The title basically says it all.

I'm looking to add another VLAN to my network but I need another switch to do this under my TV since I have a Roku there as well that will need to be moved to another VLAN and I currently only have a dumb switch there.

I need a switch with the ports on the rear of the unit for use under a TV. VLAN support is a must and POE (802.3af is fine) would be a plus.

I've found a couple of TPLink switches (mainly the T1500G-8T) but I have never used them before and am not sure if they are garbage or not.

My current switches are Cisco Small Business SG350/SG250 series, Netgear ProSafe GS510TP's, and an EdgeSwitch ES-12F so I'd like to keep the same quality if possible.

I do see a Cisco SG200-8P that I can get for $120 shipped and am contemplating that but it is discontinued.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would recommend that you stick with a single vendor and if possible, a single model within that vendor that has the capabilities you need. ;)

Switches, VLAN's and POE is supposed to be interchangeable but sometimes isn't and when conflicts occur, it can be frustrating to narrow down the issue(s).

With that said, the Netgear ProSafe line is a worthy contender.

Thanks for the suggestion and warnings.

There was a bit of a learning curve at first but I have it all working between my Cisco, Netgear, and EdgeSwitch currently. I took it as a challenge to get them all working :) The Netgear is nice except the interface is from 1995 and working VLAN's in it is downright painful compared to the Cisco and EdgeSwitch but it does work.

The problem is that Netgear nor Ubiquiti make a switch that has the features I need and the Cisco switch is the SG200 series which has been EOL'd so I thought I'd avoid it if possible.

TrendNet doesn't make anything either or I would have went that route.

It appears that very few companies make managed switches with rear facing ports for some reason. So far all I have found are TP Link and the Cisco SG200 that I mentioned in the OP but I'd rather avoid TP Link if possible.

I doubt that Brocade makes anything but maybe HP does? I guess I'll go look at them.

ETA: HP is out it appears as all of the 1620's use front facing ports.

I have a spare Netgear GS510TP that I may just wind up using if I can't find anything. I was just hoping for something smaller and quieter by the TV.

Front-facing ports on anything other than the most basic of SOHO-grade, usually unmanaged, desktop switches, is a tough thing to find.

I would figure out a way to live with front-facing ports and simply buy the best switch for the job.

Function over form, if you can stomach it.

I bought some DLink 5 port switches for less than $20 at Fry's for my daughter's business. They work OK for being plugged into a Cisco core switch.

Thanks for the suggestion and warnings.

There was a bit of a learning curve at first but I have it all working between my Cisco, Netgear, and EdgeSwitch currently. I took it as a challenge to get them all working :) The Netgear is nice except the interface is from 1995 and working VLAN's in it is downright painful compared to the Cisco and EdgeSwitch but it does work.

The problem is that Netgear nor Ubiquiti make a switch that has the features I need and the Cisco switch is the SG200 series which has been EOL'd so I thought I'd avoid it if possible.

TrendNet doesn't make anything either or I would have went that route.

It appears that very few companies make managed switches with rear facing ports for some reason. So far all I have found are TP Link and the Cisco SG200 that I mentioned in the OP but I'd rather avoid TP Link if possible.

I doubt that Brocade makes anything but maybe HP does? I guess I'll go look at them.

ETA: HP is out it appears as all of the 1620's use front facing ports.

I have a spare Netgear GS510TP that I may just wind up using if I can't find anything. I was just hoping for something smaller and quieter by the TV.
Curious, why avoid TPLink switches? Do you find their VLAN interface is a problem?

Curious, why avoid TPLink switches? Do you find their VLAN interface is a problem?
It might not be so much this or that particular feature that may turn someone off to a TP-Link switch, perhaps more so a lack of quality compared to some alternatives. TP-Link switching is geared at SOHO edge/access, some might argue a bit of aggregation/distribution, perhaps for some smaller SMB cases. Beyond that, though, they simply lack the trickle-down quality you will find from full-vertical switching makers (Cisco, HPE, Extreme, etc.), and if you've used enough of this stuff you can of see it in the product and, of course, the price tag. That said, TP-Link is perfectly fine for basic networks where budgets are slim and/or uptime is not super critical; heck, many models will perform as well as the spendier stuff would. It all just comes down to knowing the limitations and intended purpose of each product.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!