What's new

Super slow WiFi (and high ping) on new router AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sikiduck

New Around Here
Hi,

The problem:

- Ping is to high (15-20ms). The ASUS router before this one I had like 2 ms. ISP tested and got 1 ms.
- WiFi is super slow on devices on 2.4GHz.
I have tried every channel from 1-13 on 20 MHz bandwith. Still the speed variate from 2-30mbps. I am suppose to have 100/100. That was the speed I had before as well.

This is from second floor, where I have my computer. On my iPhone next to me the speed is the same.
The computer can not receive the 5GHz network because it is to far away (its not many objects or concrete between).
But my iPhone can. When I run it next to my computer I get like anything from 2/0.3 mbps to 20mbps. If I step two meters away from my computer I receive 40-50Mbps. Still in the same room but some meters away. The speed vary alot.

Router has newest firmware.
With cable to router with a laptop in first floor, I get 100/100mbps, ping still 15 ms.

What the **** is wrong with this? I can not figure it out. I have tried everything google gives me.

Disabled and enabled QoS, jumbo and NAT. Still no difference. 40 MHz bandwith, no difference.

The speed vary alot as I said. Some hours ago I got like 50 mbps. Couple hours before that I got 2mbps on my computer ....

Please help me. This is SO frustrating, I'm about to cry ... used to many hours on this shirtty router.
frown.gif

Sorry for my bad english, it is not my foreign language. And I do not have android to use like heatmapper.

Here is a picture of "professional settings" on my router for the 2.4GHZ:

WTPTNMg.png

GFOPEh6.png

Last edited:
I have tried every channel from 1-13 on 20 MHz bandwith. Still the speed variate from 2-30mbps. I am suppose to have 100/100. That was the speed I had before as well.
The speed vary alot as I said. Some hours ago I got like 50 mbps. Couple hours before that I got 2mbps on my computer ....
You are telling us that you were getting 100Mbps on 2.4GHz from your previous router? I find that very difficult to believe.
Everything you are currently describing sounds like normal 2.4GHz behavior in a crowded airspace.
- lower than expected speeds = check
- major fluctuations in speed = check

If you have lots of other WiFi in the immediate area on 2.4GHz, you can expect your speeds and quality to be all over the place depending on the amount of activity and interference being introduced.

You are telling us that you were getting 100Mbps on 2.4GHz from your previous router? I find that very difficult to believe.
Everything you are currently describing sounds like normal 2.4GHz behavior in a crowded airspace.
- lower than expected speeds = check
- major fluctuations in speed = check

If you have lots of other WiFi in the immediate area on 2.4GHz, you can expect your speeds and quality to be all over the place depending on the amount of activity and interference being introduced.

Maybe try running the 2.4Ghz in 20/40 mode instead of 20

- Ping is to high (15-20ms). The ASUS router before this one I had like 2 ms. ISP tested and got 1 ms.

WiFi is always going to add a bit of latency...

That being said - a good router is going to reduce that... on the left side of this graph - a popular Consumer Router AP, and and on the other side, something oriented more towards enterprise...

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 5.45.52 PM.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!