What's new

Sure can tell difference in 2.4 ghz and 5ghz speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I sure can tell the differnece in 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz speed. It was a beautiful morning outside for me this morning out in the back quarter of my yard. It was about a 100 feet away from my brick house. I was setting out there using my laptop to read this forum when I realized my laptop was web paging slower. I was on 2.4 GHz. It kind of reminded me of an old iPad not a snappy laptop. When I am on 5 GHz it is real quick. I can not tell the difference in an Ethernet wire and 5 GHz now on my older laptop. I don't have gig speed either so that might make a difference. It caught me off guard as I had not thought about it ahead of time.

What a great morning though.

PS
I am thinking in terms of latency not through put.

Last edited:
The faster the pages 'turn' on the web, the happier I am with my network. Throughput is nice (and I do have 1Gbps symmetrical Fibre), but the real upgrade was to an indicated 0 to 1ms unloaded and 3 to 18ms loaded latencies for wired or closer range 5GHz connections. :)

Yes I normally set about 25 feet away from 1 of my APs line of site and my laptop is set to preferred 5 GHz under the wireless NIC setting on Windows 10 which makes me always connect at 5 GHz.

The faster the pages 'turn' on the web, the happier I am with my network. Throughput is nice (and I do have 1Gbps symmetrical Fibre), but the real upgrade was to an indicated 0 to 1ms unloaded and 3 to 18ms loaded latencies for wired or closer range 5GHz connections. :)

Is this possible to do under Win 8.1? Any such updated drivers or ways?

All that is needed is the possibility to connect to the 5GHz network. The closer you are, the less latency you will experience.

While 2.4 Ghz has greater range than 5Ghz it's a double edged sword as in more interference from neighbors WiFi, assuming you aren't in some secluded area or have massive spacing between homes. 5ghz seems to give me decent enough range outside my home at lower latency thanks to lower interference/congestion.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!