What's new

Swap File Mount/Unmount

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The scripts mentioned before seem to specifically look for 'myswap.swp' (at least, that's what they create).

Don't mind me asking, were you able to find that out? Is it possible for Diversion, Skynet to use a swap partition instead of a swap file?

What an interesting thread! I'm always learning something new around here. :)

Don't mind me asking, were you able to find that out? Is it possible for Diversion, Skynet to use a swap partition instead of a swap file?

What an interesting thread! I'm always learning something new around here. :)

Theoretically, if you create a dedicated swap partition and make sure it gets mounted as swap at boot, Skynet and Diversion will use it (as well as everything else which needs the additional resources) because they can't see the difference. What I don't know is whether the install scripts of Skynet or Diversion consider creation of a swap file mandatory or whether you're able to skip creation of it. I don't think it's mandatory, but you should probably ask in the dedicated threads to be sure (or just try it). I do wonder whether it's worth the hassle of creating an additional partition, as I haven't noticed a difference in performance between a swapfile or a dedicated swap partition. I hardly ever see the swapfile being used, if I'm not mistaken it's only being used while updating their blocking list(s) or, in case of Diversion, generating stats etcetera. The only time I ever see swap being used is when my router is performing heavy duty tasks.

Decided to skip it for now as I’m also seeing hardly any swap activity. Perhaps I’ll experiment once I get some down time.

Thank you for the detailed advise, very much appreciated! :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!