What's new

Switch - Confirming Functionality to Be Sure...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mystik1

Occasional Visitor
I made a post in here a while back on this, but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger for fear of buying the wrong solution. To recap, I have a PC and a NAS that I want to communicate at speeds higher than 1 GbE. I am trying to find a very good solution but also as affordable as I can get away with. The PC's adapter and the NAS both use RJ-45. I already have CAT7 cables. If I buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076642YPN/?tag=snbforums-20

Will it indeed give me 10 GbE between the NAS and PC if both are connected through those two ports that support 10 GbE? I believe it will since, as I understand it, the communication would be done 100% through the switch in that case, and not use the router at all. Is that right? I currently have the NAS connecting directly to the PC, but when extracting archives from the NAS in Windows, it seems to be still going through the 1 GbE router for some reason, which locks up access to the NAS (since it hits 100% utilization). This is what I am trying to get around. Thanks much in advance!

I'd look at your NIC configuration. It could be set to (or capable of!) 1Gb only and that would certainly neck down the thru put.

What kind of NAS do you have? How are you extracting the archives? Through Network in Windows? Or, are you connecting to your NAS' built-in folder management utility? If you are not doing the latter, the upgraded connections to 10GBe won't be much help (it will still be going through the network).

Give us a few more details (more is better!) and you may already have the possibility to bypass this bottleneck already with the options you currently have. :)

Consider the MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN

It's layer2, but a very good value @ $270

For something smaller... MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN

They're both SFP, so one has some flexibility whether using copper or glass...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!