What's new

Switch for IPTV (IGMP Snooping required?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ali232

Occasional Visitor
Hello.
I'm searching a 2.5G switch which will work with my IPTV.
I asked QNAP about QSW-1105-5T. They said that this device does not support IGMP Snooping and IPTV.
Then I asked Zyxel about MG-105. They said "The MG-105 is an unmanaged switch. The snooping cannot be configured - all multicast packets are flooded to other ports, which is a good approach for a five-port switch - the IGMP snooping is used for high port count switches, as the overhead caused by this approach starts to become a problem. IPTV will work with this switch without problem."
Is that possible that these two switch so different?
Can you recommend me an affordable 2.5G switch which supports IPTV? (4 port enough.)
Thanks!

Hello.
I'm searching a 2.5G switch which will work with my IPTV.
I asked QNAP about QSW-1105-5T. They said that this device does not support IGMP Snooping and IPTV.
Then I asked Zyxel about MG-105. They said "The MG-105 is an unmanaged switch. The snooping cannot be configured - all multicast packets are flooded to other ports, which is a good approach for a five-port switch - the IGMP snooping is used for high port count switches, as the overhead caused by this approach starts to become a problem. IPTV will work with this switch without problem."
Is that possible that these two switch so different?
Can you recommend me an affordable 2.5G switch which supports IPTV? (4 port enough.)
Thanks!
"The MG-105 is an unmanaged switch. The snooping cannot be configured - all multicast packets are flooded to other ports, which is a good approach for a five-port switch - the IGMP snooping is used for high port count switches, as the overhead caused by this approach starts to become a problem. IPTV will work with this switch without problem."
: Wrong. IPTV works with any switches which don't support IGMP Snooping. BUT WiFi and network will have a lot of issues. So you need a switch which supports IGMP Snooping.
It's up to your budget. There is no 2.5gb unmanaged switch which supports IGMP Snooping. You should buy a managed switch. Netgear or TP-Link.
1gb unmanaged switch: TP-Link SG105 and SG108 support IGMP Snooping.

Last edited:
You will need a smart/managed switch.
Why do you need IGMP snooping?
How much are you willing to spend?
2.5 (or beter) smart switches are still fairly expensive.

This Zyxel is least expensive smart multigag I have found so far.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TC3VJ61/?tag=snbforums-20

It has 3 mult-gig (up to 10G)and 8 gigabit ports.

This Qnap switch has more 2.5 gig and costs more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PDF97BX/?tag=snbforums-20
Because he is using IPTV. He needs it.

One thing to note - most routers, esp on Broadcom, have the IGMP Snoop (and some have IGMP Proxy) - one only needs one IGMP snooper per subnet and/or VLAN, so if the router does it, one doesn't need to enable this on the switch for the most part

If I only connect routers (3x AX86U, AP mode) with IGMP snooping support to the switch which does not support it it can works well or the switch must have to support it too?
If you connect IPTV STB to the IGMP Snooping enabled router directly you don't need a switch which supports IGMP Snooping. Otherwise you need a switch which supports IGMP Snooping.
1. This works.
Router( IGMP enabled) > IPTV STB

2. This doesn't work.
Router(IGMP enabled) > unmanaged switch(no IGMP supports) > IPTV STB

3. This works.
Router( IGMP enabled) > unmanaged switch(IGMP supports) > IPTV STB

4. This doesn't work.
Router(IGMP enabled) > unmanaged switch(no IGMP supports) > unmanaged switch(IGMP supports) > IPTV STB
In this case, the devices are connected to 'unmanaged switch(no IGMP supports) ' will have issues. If you don't connect anything except 'switch(IGMP supports)' to the switch(no IGMP supports) it works.

Suggestions:
Do it like this If you really want to use 2.5gb switches for other devices.
1. Router(IGMP enabled) > 2.5gb Managed switch(enable IGMP Snooping for other devices are connected to this switch)> TP-Link SG105 or SG108 only for IP TV > IPTV STB

2. Router( IGMP enabled) > IPTV STB
Connect 2.5gb Managed switch to the router so you can use other devices with 2.5 speed.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!