What's new

Switch WAN based on internet speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xnokia

New Around Here
Hi Guys,
I have a load balancing that works on two 5G modems, I want to find a way that when a speed test is conducted and the speed is below XMB to switch to secondary WAN and vice versa, can anyone help to do this please?

Welcome to the forums @xnokia.

I do not believe what you're asking for is possible.

No, sorry, I do not.

With over 200 views already on this thread, if it was possible, I would hope someone would have offered their insight for you.

No, sorry, I do not.

With over 200 views already on this thread, if it was possible, I would hope someone would have offered their insight for you.
I don't think you can do it with the router.

A co-worker, a total geek, set up Multi-path TCP from a Linux server in his house, out both a DSL modem and MuskNet (aka StarLink), to an AWS node that terminated the MPTCP and sent the packets on via TCP. It solved his reliabilty problem with both DSL and MuskNet. The Linux server became his firewall/router.

This is how some cell phone networks handle you walking in and out of wifi and keep the call going.

It IS possible, just don't expect any help at all from your router. It is not for the faint of heart (which is a gross understatement). It's not cheap. You're probably on your own for this.

See https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/using-multipath-tcp-better-survive-outages-and-increase-bandwidth, and search for MPTCP,
There's a great picture here: https://www.openmptcprouter.com/

Good luck!

Being unfamiliar with multi WAN in Asus, does it allow you to have multiple WAN "active" and listed as separate interfaces?

It would also depend on how the router processes multi wan traffic

@Jack Yaz Thank you for your response; the switching between wans is pretty easy, just change the primary to secondary and vice versa. But if this can happen with a speed test you will be a lifesaver.

1665058569094.png

@Jack Yaz This also helps

Try this:

I've seen others do the same and they say it works.

Good luck!

Hi Guys,
I have a load balancing that works on two 5G modems, I want to find a way that when a speed test is conducted and the speed is below XMB to switch to secondary WAN and vice versa, can anyone help to do this please?
Hi @xnokia...

This really sounds like a perfect addition for the Dual WAN Failover tool by @Ranger802004... Just to understand the requirements a bit more...

1.) Are you currently in load balancing mode, or fail-over mode?
2.) So you want a speedtest to run on WAN0, if it's below a certain criteria, fail over to WAN1.
3.) While on WAN1, if a speedtest is below a certain criteria, fail back over to WAN0.
4.) You would want to configure parameters: to determine how often speedtests are run, what the minimum speeds for WAN0 and WAN1 are.

Does that sound about right?

1) manual switching between 2x WAN connections is not load balancing
2) constant speed testing is productivity disrupting and has a negative impact on the entire network, neighbors too
3) if someone can do often line saturation for testing purposes, the speed for work purposes is more than enough
4) there is no guarantee the other WAN connection is better at that given moment, especially with wireless ISPs
5) Asus home router is a wrong piece of hardware for dual WAN, load balancing very basic and fail back/over broken
6) one better quality ISP is the solution, increasing complexity with no guaranteed results is not

1) manual switching between 2x WAN connections is not load balancing
2) constant speed testing is productivity disrupting and has a negative impact on the entire network, neighbors too
3) if someone can do often line saturation for testing purposes, the speed for work purposes is more than enough
4) there is no guarantee the other WAN connection is better at that given moment, especially with wireless ISPs
5) Asus home router is a wrong piece of hardware for dual WAN, load balancing very basic and fail back/over broken
6) one better quality ISP is the solution, increasing complexity with no guaranteed results is not
@Tech9 is right on the money here...

If load balancing is used, both connections are active at the same time. In fail back/over only one connection is active. I don't think there is a way to speedtest the standby connection in Asuswrt. It's going to be switching to the unknown, line saturation again to test, switching back to the slow connection, repeat. Not sure if there is a better way to piss off the network users. All active connections will be broken as well, VoIP/Video calls, streaming, etc. What for? If the network needs 10Mbps Internet speed it doesn't matter if current maximum ISP speed is 20Mbps or 200Mbps.

Hi @xnokia...

This really sounds like a perfect addition for the Dual WAN Failover tool by @Ranger802004... Just to understand the requirements a bit more...

1.) Are you currently in load balancing mode, or fail-over mode?
2.) So you want a speedtest to run on WAN0, if it's below a certain criteria, fail over to WAN1.
3.) While on WAN1, if a speedtest is below a certain criteria, fail back over to WAN0.
4.) You would want to configure parameters: to determine how often speedtests are run, what the minimum speeds for WAN0 and WAN1 are.

Does that sound about right?
@Viktor Jaep Thanks for your response, Im currently on fail over for two 5G mobile internet each on diffent ISP and it's working really good, but in fact sometimes one of the ISP goes poor in performance that's why I need to switch to the other wan on a low speedtest.